SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wantonamara

Addicted to Agave montanas

HELP. It is official I am officially obsessed in the search fot the best Agave montana. The catch is that I don't know what I am looking for and how to see those characteristics in a small shrimp of an agave baby. I know what I want to get when it is BIG but how to recognize those traits in a baby is another issue. At the beginning of my search I didn't even know what some of those traits were. By the end of this I will have GOBS of Agave Montanas of different types. OH well. I have six babies so far and I am still not done. There are other Agaves that I want but I guess this is the year of the Montana.

I will share some photos of my search. First one I bought because it said A. montana on the label. What can I say, I am a newbie. As it grew larger the upright straight leaves are taking form. I am hoping for a classic artichoke look. The markings on outside are alright and needles are red brown. I bought 2. I want BIG teeth and red. I also want more intense markings.

{{gwi:469979}}

Picture 2 is of the Agave montana 'baccarrat'. This variety is more glaucus and the markings are evident. I also like the red winter stress coloration. some Agave experts concider this a intergrade with A. gentry. I am staying out of this argument. A montana is very variable according to location. I bought 2.

{{gwi:469981}}

{{gwi:469982}}

I bought this next one, a regular A montana, because of its intense red needles. The markings on the outside are not that intense ...poohy

{{gwi:469983}}

I bought this next one because of its INTENSE markings from the teeth, but its teeth are not as red as the ones above, nor as large. It appears that I am getting picky. This one is my very favorite so far. Maybe the teeth will grow larger and darker red as it develops.

{{gwi:469984}}

OK, I am off to get some more but the growers crop won't be ready till March and there are three in Arizona that might have my name on them. I mean, they might be different and/or BETTER and I won't be able to tell till I buy them. Am I nuts, or is this normal behavior?

Comments (14)