SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wantonamara

Agave montana comparison

I some how found myself on the search for the perfect (to me ) montana. It was a strange process of education. I bought my first montana because I saw some habitat photos and this pot said it was it and I had never see IT before. I did not know what a baby Agave montana looked like. I liked that it was a cold hearty and somewhat moisture tolerant species. I did not know what chacteristics to look for or what made for a good montana. I learned by buying.

This first photo shows my first normal A. montana in the background and 2 A. montana baccarat in the forground. See there is differences even in the Baccarat which is supposedly a intergrade of Montana with Gentry. One sees the recurve of the leaves ( a gentry characteristic) in the dark green gack ground and the glaucus leafed baccarat but the more yellow greenish baccarat has a jutting form.

{{gwi:573571}}

Here is a topview of 4 baccarats.....Another whiter blue green baccarat. Look at the different shape of the leaves. Pretty variable. Montanas are said to have wide cupping leaves. It came in the same pot as the blue grey one as if it was a pup. But Montanas are not normally puppers. It was a separate seedling. Again Agave Gentry and Montana are on the same mountain. Gentry grows below Montanas. Montanas are generally hardier.

{{gwi:573572}}

Below I will show you examples of the recurved leaf ( gentry characteristic) and the stalwart outward profile that I prefer. I want a big artichoke looking thing.

{{gwi:573573}}

{{gwi:573574}}

Doesn't this last one have gorgeous needle marks too. Nice wide leaves, long red terminal spikes, Yummy..... Yes I play favorites

Next one is the one that was sold to me as a miniature A. Utahensis. and fool that I was, I bought it.The leaves were a greyer lighter green, thinner at the time, with white marginal teeth and spikes, but it still didn't look like an eloborispina but I didn't bat an eye. It has totally changed and is developing a very wide fat leaf shape, dark green, great markings.

{{gwi:573575}}

Here is it flanked by some A. utahensis elborespina that it was supposed to be. LOL.. Talk about Mutt and Jeff. They could not be more different!

{{gwi:573576}}

Below are some top views of the rosettes so you can see how different the leaf shapes can be. Notice the distinct narrowing at the base of the fourth one.

{{gwi:573577}}

{{gwi:573578}}

{{gwi:573579}}

{{gwi:573580}}

Last but not least, what are the teeth like. The last one I got from Starr nursery and I asked for big teeth and even though he and his brother are tiny tikes, they have a set of distinct chompers on them. When I got them , they were all white and now they are getting color and the leaf color is darkening up.

{{gwi:573581}}

He is definitely a beautiful agave in the making. He has the distinctive markings, color, great teeth and the leaf shape is broadening out. I just whish he was bigger. I am not much for dealing with babies. Small things get lost.

I have come a long way in understanding this species. I whish Iknew more at the beginning but learning it on the run was fun too. . I hope this is helpful. I am still scratching my head and watching them change.

One day , they will live here.

{{gwi:573582}}

and here

{{gwi:573583}}

Comments (18)

Sponsored
WhislerHome Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Committed Home Improvement Professionals