SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vera_eastern_wa

Some Pictures....July 15-August 3rd

vera_eastern_wa
14 years ago

It's been some time since I've visited the forum, but I'm back! I turned 40 on July 21st, but it was not a happy day at all! My Grandmother passed away on the 20th and I had plans to go home next summer to spend time with her :(

Life must go on and next year I have plans to create a memorial garden for her.

Stocks blooming in this July heat is unbelievable! They started a few weeks ago in 90F+ temps and haven't let up. It's been 90F+ everyday now for 3 weeks straight and no sign of cooling down until the end of the week. We need a break! I still have poppies blooming too and my Sweet Peas 'Miss Wilmott also started in July, but roots are kept cool with a good amount of dried grass clippings and straw mulch :O

{{gwi:427141}}

Zinnia

{{gwi:427142}}

Monarda fistulosa....this one never ever ever gets Powdery Mildew like M. didyma 'Garden Scarlet' and is my favorite Monarda for tea. As a tea it is the best one I know (besides nasty Valerian) for calming, soothing and aiding in sleep trouble. Also is a great sub for oregano. The 'Garden Scarlet' has already been cut back to the ground to revive.

{{gwi:427143}}

Nicotiana, Datura and Venidium. These Vendidium came from 'Jaffa Ice' and for 2 years the volunteers and wintersown plants have come true. These were just starting to open early morning and were deadheaded yesterday. Flowers close in low light/night hours while the Nicotiana (and Datura open in the evening/night hours.

{{gwi:427144}}

Datura inoxia, 3 plants. The 3rd plant germinated several weeks after planting out the first 2 seedlings. They starting to branch and have set several buds. The first should be ready to open this evening

{{gwi:427145}}

Tomato 'Black Plum'. All of my tomatoes this year are good croppers, but still waiting to pick/eat the first ripe ones. I'm happy with all of them and so far no disease or pests are present and all of them continue to set fruits in this unbearable heat :)

{{gwi:427146}}

Finally my Lupine 'The Chatalaine' bloomed starting mid July! They are setting seeds now, but I loved the color :)

{{gwi:427148}}

Yvonne's Salvia. These are planted in front of last years wintersown Hibiscus which are going crazy now in the heat with good moisture. I hope to see buds setting soon! Can't wait. Also have Nicandra planted here and can't believe the size of these guys this year! Those trunks are a good 1.75"-2" in diameter and 4.5' tall with leaves so huge! The drawback is I am always missing the short-lived flowers!

{{gwi:427150}}

Not the best picture, but these are the result of throwing extra seeds left in my hands out the door after sowing them! Not bad LOL!

{{gwi:427152}}

Nicotiana alata and Nicandra

{{gwi:427154}}

Joe-Pye Weed

{{gwi:427156}}

That's all for now....thanks for looking :)

Vera

Comments (10)

Sponsored