SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
grant_in_arizona

The race is on (pink Caesalpinia vs. cool weather)

grant_in_arizona
9 years ago

Hi everyone,

I've posted about this plant before, the pink form of Caesalpinia pulcherrima (the so-called "red bird of paradise" which usually comes in orange-red, plus the yellow variant 'Phoenix bird').

I love the regular orange-red type of this plant and grow it as well, but this pink form is a bit more shy with the flowers. And when I say a bit more shy, I mean last autumn, its first, it just starting making flower buds when the weather cooled and the buds started falling off. Ugh.

I think I'm in for the same abuse this autumn, hah! It's JUST barely starting to make flowers (the red form has been blooming for many months now all over the valley of course). We'll see who wins: the flowers or the cool weather.

Lots of us on this forum ordered a bunch of seeds of this pink form of Caesalpinia pulcherrima and we all got seedlings but none survived. I bought this guy online as a tiny seedling in 2013 and now it's 7 feet tall with five different branches. We'll see what we see. If the cold wins this year, OUT this plant goes!

Happy gardening,
Grant

{{gwi:421873}}

Comments (8)