SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
grant_in_arizona

Pink Caesalpinia (red bird of paradise), one more try!

grant_in_arizona
10 years ago

Hi everyone,

I love "red bird of paradise" (Caesalpinia pulcherrima) which is rightly popular all over the valley. The foliage is great, the blooms are amazing, and it's SO heat and drought tolerant. I love it in the typical/wild red-orange and in the yellow form too (usually labeled as 'Phoenix' or 'Phoenix bird'). Long-time forum members will remember several of us tried the pink form of Caesalpinia pulcherrima with poor results. Well, I'm giving it ONE more try, hah! Hey, you can't win if you don't play.

Here's a pic of it as of this weekend. It's already much larger than any of our previous attempts (which croaked as seedlings in early summer). We'll see how it does long-term, but I thought I'd share this fun little experiment. Wish it luck, hah! Right now it looks like any other red bop (red bird of paradise) seedling. Wilson the tennis ball included to show relative size.

I do build the bulk of my garden with plants that LOVE it here, but it's fun to experiment with 10% or so of the garden, and this is one such experiment. It's already larger than any of my earlier attempts, so we'll see what we see. Expect updates for good or bad! :)

Are you test-driving any new-for-you or new-for-here plants? We'd love to see/hear about it! Happy gardening!

Grant

Comments (18)

Sponsored
Buckeye Basements, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars31 Reviews
Central Ohio's Basement Finishing ExpertsBest Of Houzz '13-'21