SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
2manydiversions

Share your hot weather simple recipes : )

2ManyDiversions
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Photos for uploading · More Info

Cathyinpa promised to share her ribs rub and recipe (which she did!) and I promised to share my herbed potatoes recipe with her… and I got to thinking, so many are dealing with hot weather, as well as running short on time, and since this recipe is so easy and fast to make, why don’t we all share the love?!

Herbed Potato Salad:

1-1/2 pounds red potatoes (about 15) (Note, I used 15, and they were 2-1/2 lbs. so ended up adding to the rest of the ingredients)

1/2 cup chopped fresh herbs (I used fresh tarragon, oregano, rosemary, chives, thyme, parsley)

2 scallions thinly sliced

2 tablespoons olive oil

1 tablespoon whole-grain mustard

1 tablespoon red wine vinegar (I add a splash more)

kosher salt and black pepper

Lemon juice (I squeeze about ½ a lemon’s juice into the bowl)

I steam the red potatoes, whole, in a steamer basket in the Instant Pot for 15 minutes (natural release for 10 minutes, then manual release) – enough to get them to that almost falling apart but not super mushy point. You can boil yours also. I prefer the reds as they have a somewhat waxy texture that allows them to hold together. I let them cool, cut into bite-sized pieces. Mix the rest in a bowl, add to the potatoes, cover and refrigerate to let the flavors meld. Red potatoes have that waxy texture that holds well in this type of recipe.

Another simple, refreshing summer recipe that’s easy-peasy:

Fresh Corn, Tomato & Basil Summer Salad:

4-5 ears fresh corn, shucked

Cherry or grape tomatoes, about 2-4 cups, halved

½ cup red onion, chopped

4 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar (I use a splash more)

4 Tbsp. Olive Oil (I use a bit less)

10-12+ basil leaves, chopped

½ or less tspn Kosher salt

1 tsp or more sugar

In large pot of boiling salted (or not salted) water, cook corn 3 minutes, drain and immerse in ice water. When cool, cut kernels off corn. Or, you can grill your corn, but not as long as usual – keep them tender-crisp!

Toss everything in a large bowl, mix well. Let rest in fridge to blend flavors for about 1-2 hours. Will keep 4-5 days. (This never ‘keeps’ longer than 2 days! We dip into it constantly for a refreshing snack!)

What’s your favorite (and fairly easy) hot weather recipe that you’d like to share to help others get through this heat and these long working days?

Comments (101)

• sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)
    5 years ago

Ah ha, same day. Must have had a steak. Love tomato/fresh tarragon salad with steak.

2ManyDiversions thanked sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)
    5 years ago

Another quickie when the grill is being used...potatoes in parchment, then wrapped in foil tight. 'Potato Packets'. Good way to roast some beets and whole garlic. Use that grill heat for weeknight easy meals.

• Related Discussions

Recipes for HOT Weather

Q

Comments (10)
    We do a lot of stuff on the grill - marinated chicken and veggies (tomatoes, mushrooms, green peppers and onions) on the grill; corn on the grill, stuffed chicken on the grill, stuff like that. Lately, I've been making a lot of pasta salads. All recipes come complete with commentary! ;-) My favorite is tuna salad: 3 C uncooked noodles (I like shell, my mom likes macaroni) 2 C frozen peas, thawed 1/2 C whipping cream, whipped into peaks (but NOT into butter, silly boyfriend...) about 1 C mayo (I use miracle whip, light. you can use more mayo and ignore the whipping cream, but to me, it makes it a little heavy) 2 cans tuna (lately, I've been using 4) 1/2 C onions (sweet, walla walla are my favorite) Cook noodles until tender. Chill. Mix tuna, onions, noodles and peas. Fold mayo into whipping cream. Gently stir all together until everything is coated. Japanese Chicken Salad 4-5 chicken breasts, cooked and cubed (honestly, until I looked up the recipe, I had no idea this normally has chicken in it. We usually leave it out) 1 small head cabbage shredded carrots (in lieu of cabbage and shredded carrots, 1 bag of the 'coleslaw mix' - it's sooo much easier!) 1 package ramen (chicken flavor) broken up 4 green onions, chopped 1/4 c sesame seeds (I usually use sunflower seeds) Dressing: 1 package seasoning from noodles 2 Tbsp sugar 1 C oil (recipe says olive, I always use canola, and no one can tell the difference) 1 tsp pepper 1/4 C + 2 Tbsp white vinegar Blend dressing. Combine all ingredients. Toss with dressing. Italian Style Pasta Salad 1 can (14.5 oz) pitite-cut tomatoes with onions and garlic, undrained (really, don't drain it. the time I thought 'oh, let's drain it!' the salad ended up a little dry) 1 can (6 oz) black olives, drained 3 oz pepperoni, cut into halves or fourths shredded Parmesan 12 oz (uncooked) tri-color rotini 8 oz Italian-Caesar dressing (I always have this on hand, but don't actually put it IN the salad, because my family is allergic to a lot of the ingredients. You may want to try it without, and then add later. I put it on mine.) Cook pasta, chill. Combine all except pasta, mix. Add pasta, mix. Gently coat with dressing. Not a main dish, but one of my favorite summertime things... Pickle Roll-ups, and not an exact science. whole pickles ham or corned beef (I like them better with the beef, my cousins won't eat them with it... go figure) plain cream cheese GENTLY spread cream cheese on corned beef, thinly. Roll up pickle. Chop into approx 1/2 inch pieces. Sometimes, you'll need to put a little extra cream cheese on the edges once you roll it up to kind of glue the piece together. Happy eating, ~ Kit
    ...See More

I'll share my recipe, if you'll share yours, July 11, 2011

Q

Comments (11)
    Another "skinny" recipe. I like the sound of the sauce. I'll probably bake the fish like I ususally do. BROILED TILAPIA WITH THAI COCONUT CURRY SAUCE (Adapted from Cooking Light) Servings: 6 Serving Size: 1 piece fish plus sauce Old Points: 5 pts Points+: 6 pts Calories: 225.2 Fat: 6.9 g Protein: 35.5 g Carb: 5.6 g Fiber: 1.1 g 1 tsp dark sesame oil, divided 1 tbsp minced peeled fresh ginger 4 garlic cloves, minced 1 cup finely chopped red bell pepper 1 cup chopped scallions 1 tsp curry powder 2 tsp red curry paste 1/2 tsp ground cumin 4 tsp low-sodium soy sauce 1 tbsp brown sugar 2 tsp Asian fish sauce 1 (14-ounce) can light coconut milk 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro 6 (6-ounce) tilapia fillets salt Cooking spray Preheat broiler. Heat 1/2 teaspoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add ginger and garlic; cook 1 minute. Add pepper and scallions; cook 1 minute. Stir in curry powder, curry paste, and cumin; cook 1 minute. Add soy sauce, sugar, Asian fish sauce, and coconut milk; bring to a simmer (do not boil). Remove from heat; stir in cilantro or basil if using. Brush fish with 1/2 teaspoon oil; sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon salt. Place fish on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Broil 7 minutes or until fish flakes easily when tested with a fork. Serve fish with sauce, rice, and lime wedges.
    ...See More

I'll share my recipes if you'll share yours, October 29, 2010

Q

Comments (9)
    This is a good cookie recipe that I've made several times, but years ago. Time to make them again Chocolate Orange Granola Cookies 1 cup flour 1/2 tsp baking powder 1/2 tsp allspice 1/2 tsp salt 2/3 cup firmly packed brown sugar 1/2 cup butter, softened 1 egg 1 tsp vanilla 1/2 tsp grated orange rind 1 1/4 cups granola cereal 1/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips 1/2 flaked coconut 1/4 cup chopped nuts Preheat oven to 350. In a small bowl combine flour, baking powder, allspice and salt. In large bowl cream butter and brown sugar. Add egg, vanilla and orange rind; beat well. Gradually beat in flour mixture. Stir in granola, chocolate, coconut and nuts. Drop by rounded tablespoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheet. Bake 11-15 minutes. Cool completely on wire rack.
    ...See More

Can someone share a *simple* Brunswick Stew Recipe?

Q

Comments (14)
    Nope. In Georgia we do not put lima beans in our Brunswick Stew. I remember a BBQ restaurant that opened here that served it with Lima beans for a very short period of time before they figured out we wouldn't eat it that way. LOL! Here's my recipe. BRUNSWICK STEW Brunswick stew is a traditional dish served at Southern barbecues. It is a favorite because of the flavor combination of chicken, beef and pork. The dish is long on flavor and short on leftovers. 1 baking chicken (2-3 pounds) 1 lean pork roast (1 1/2 pounds) 1 beef roast (1 1/2 pounds) 1 28 oz can crushed tomatoes 1 can (6 oz) tomato paste 1 can cream style corn 1 1/2cups frozen whole kernel corn 1 large onions, diced 1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce 1 Tbsp butter or margarine 1 Tbsp. Vinegar 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper 1 tsp roasted garlic Place chicken in a large kettle, cover water and cook until meat comes off the bone easily. Remove meat and de-bone. Strain broth through a cloth and return it to the kettle. Season pork & beef with olive oil, salt, pepper & garlic powder and smoke on grill. When meats are done grind in food processor. Add meat, tomatoes, corn and other ingredients. Cook on low heat for 45 minutes, stirring frequently to prevent sticking. When cool, package in freezer containers and freeze if desired. Linda
    ...See More
  • 2ManyDiversions
    Original Author
    5 years ago

That does look good, mamapinky! Ann_T’s Penne with Grilled Italian Sausage. And so I don’t forget, I think it was you who recommended Persil detergent to someone on another forum? Anyway, if so, thank you!

Seagrass, yay! So happy you enjoyed it… but why didn’t you invite me over for steak and homegrown sugar snap peas, huh? : )

Artimas_ma, that does look refreshing, but never having been around fresh tuna, I’m going to have to imagine that! Lucky you : )

Sleevendog, sometimes I feel so under-educated around here (but I’m trying to catch up!)… I still use recipes, but yes, I occasionally just meander away and do my own thing. Not nearly as much as you, and without your continual success – I do think I could manage some salad flavor combo’s though – yours are amazing looking, and they remind me I should be more adventurous with what’s in the veg bin and elsewhere! Which, BTW, has some ick’s in it too!

Wait, is that rosemary and tomatoes or tarragon? I can only grow Mexican tarragon here. But that looks like rosemary with all those tommy-toes! You are right though, tarragon would be lovely with good tomatoes – gonna have to do that!

That potato packet is fantastic! I’m going to do that this week or weekend! Thanks!

PS: great bowls – no ikea here. Of course.

• 2ManyDiversions
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Want to hear something crazy? I needed salad ideas for this week and my mind went blank. How dumb is that with this great thread and all these fantastic salads?!

5 years ago

Sherry, that should be east to do. Like 2MD's second salad. It is very much like our EasterShore succotash. Just get one of each veg you like. If corn is 3 for a dollar, just buy one....they will charge you 33cents at check-out. I usually just use 1/2 a red pepper and the other keeps a week in the fridge for the next salad. I didn't use to like cucumber at all but I was buying the wrong one. We like the little Persian ones with thin skins and barely any seeds. No need to peel them.

I know people like sugar but I could not eat that salad that has 1/2 cup. Costco has a jarred three bean salad that must be popular but when they had it out for tasting I had to turn around and spit it out back in the cup, yuck.

Just adjust to your likes. I make quantities for 4-6 and we have them for the weekend and various combinations for Monday-Tuedays lunches. Or a quick dinner light meal. I made 4 of these for lunches. Todays was supposed to have slices of grilled londonBroil but jerky pup #2 snuck it out of the cooler when I turned my back.

When i'm grilling other things, I used the grill heat to prep for another meal so I don't need to cook after work.

• mamapinky0
    5 years ago

2Many I have often recommended Persil LOL. I cook everyday but basic country cooking so the family survives, but the laundry room is where I am a top chef. I can add a dash of this, a pinch of that, order a hard to find chemical on Amazon and have even the most grundgy white chefs apron SCREAMING white. Correct temperature for cooking, err I mean laundering is crucial and can mean the difference between perfect whites and tough dried out set in stains. LOL. As much as you folks love cooking I may love laundering even more....I probably boarder on cray cray.

2ManyDiversions thanked mamapinky0
    5 years ago

Recipes are important for inspiration. I research all the time. I have fennel on the list this week. I've made fennel slaw before but might find new ideas if I cruise a dozen other recipe ideas. And a roasted beet salad but I don't like the usual recipes with orange or those sweet canned mandarines. And leeks are on the list. My garden leeks look like chives at this point. I love them grilled.

Yes French Tarragon. I pick one up every year at my local nursery. It usually comes back every year but struggles. I use so much I just keep adding another to the herb bed.

5 years ago

Top chef in the laundry room, lol.

DH matches socks just 'close'. Drives me crazy. Then nothing matches for weeks.

What is that show, 'BadChef' ? or worst chef. (raise hand)

• User
    5 years ago

This is not just a hot weather recipe and I usually don't just throw stuff together, but it tastes good and is quick. (I needed something for supper).

1 lb ground venison (hamburger would work)

2 T olive oil

2 T taco seasoning*

1 T cumin

1 can corn, drained

1 can black beans, rinsed and drained

1 can petite diced tomatoes with juice

1/2 cup chicken stock

flour tortilias

Mexican blend grated cheese

Brown ground in olive oil and add taco seasoning, cumin, corn, black beans, tomatoes, and chicken stock. Simmer for 15 to 30 minutes. Serve on tortilias with cheese. Add lettuce, salsa, olives, and sour cream if wanted.

Taco Seasoning I

• Prep1 m
    • Ready In1 m

Recipe By:BILL ECHOLS

"Depending on how spicy you and your family like your dishes, use as little or as much as you want."

Ingredients

• 1 tablespoon chili powder
    • 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
    • 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
    • 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
    • 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
    • 1/2 teaspoon paprika
    • 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
    • 1 teaspoon sea salt
    • 1 teaspoon black pepper

Directions

1. In a small bowl, mix together chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, red pepper flakes, oregano, paprika, cumin, salt and pepper. Store in an airtight container.

ALL RIGHTS RESERVED © 2018 Allrecipes.com
    Printed From Allrecipes.com 7/10/2018

2ManyDiversions thanked User
  • sherri1058
    5 years ago

This is such a great thread..... cooking, laundry...... I'll try the Persil! My neighbour is known as the "Laundry Queen". I think I'll keep my "BBQ Queen" title. lol!

2Many, I made your herbed potato salad this evening and it was wonderful.... except that it really didn't look like the picture. What do you do, air brush the photos?????? lol!

2ManyDiversions thanked sherri1058
  • CA Kate z9
    5 years ago

Yesterday I made ManyDivisions' corn salad that was right up front. It is really goooooood! I hope to try a lot of these recipes as summer goes on.

2ManyDiversions thanked CA Kate z9
  • cathyinpa
    5 years ago

Oh. My. Word. I love this thread! Chloebud, I LOVE panzanella too! And 2Many -- nutty-buddies? I'm just laughing, the name and the idea!

I'm just labeling this "Looks Can Be Deceiving" This actually is a recipe that's posted on this thread, but you may not be able to tell;)

Initially, thought that dressing might be a bit strong so I reserved a bit, 2Many. Ended up DS and I were dipping those overcooked potato pieces into the dressing bowl and eating 'em like popcorn. LOL! Keeper! Big Time. PS wussed out with the herbs -- only went lemon thyme, dill, parsley.

Really wonderful ideas on this thread!

CathyinSWPA

2ManyDiversions thanked cathyinpa
  • 2ManyDiversions
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Sherry’s Fire and Ice salad for tonight I’m thinking, and Friday is definitely sherri1058’s black bean, corn and mango salad (will be great with fajitas!)

Sherry, I’m using your taco seasoning recipe tomorrow for fajitas, and the entire dish is ‘saved for later’ also – thank you! I packed up many of my homemade seasonings prior to our remodel going on now (duh), so was in dire need!

Sherri1058, yes, I airbrush all my pic’s… Ha! No, actually I found an ‘extra sharp’ setting on my cell phone and use that when taking most pic’s : ) I do close-ups because the kitchen is currently 2 tv trays and my plastic chair, DH’s canvas chair which is about to unravel, all on plywood subflooring. We live in a sort of “remodel squalor” just now! So glad you made the salad and enjoyed it!

Mamapinky, your Top Chef laundry skills are truly impressive, and I laughed all the way through your post! I don’t think you’re cray-cray (maybe crazy-amazing!), I think you’re passionate about getting your laundry perfect, and I admire that!

Sleevendog, I feel rather an idiot, because I’ve tried growing French tarragon the past 2 years and it always wilts in our heat but I should have remembered what it looked like prior to it’s demise… I have Mexican, which is related to marigold’s but still has good flavor, stronger than French so for some dishes I just use less. You have me wishing to try roasted beet salad – I found Ina Garten’s recipe, so that’s up next week : )

“DH matches socks just 'close'. Drives me crazy. Then nothing matches for weeks.” Well, at least that’s not as noticeable as what is worn above the knee! My DH thinks he should either wear his casual black shirt (when we eat out which is rarely, or are invited to someone’s house) – and I wish he’d wear one of his many other casual shirts as I’m rather tired of black! …Or his Pearl Jam shirt (basically a cowboy on a shark with the name above). Well, what can I say, I love him, so if he wants to wear his Pearl Jam shirt all the darned time, he can! We don’t dress up. Ever. Jeans are as dressy as I get! LOL!

Got inspired by Sleevendog and Dcarch last night: I found hot-house heirloom tommy-toes and we had those with tarragon : ) Just a nice simple salad with a light drizzle of olive oil/lemon. Not as good as what home grown would have been but substituted fine after a busy day.

CA Kate – so glad you enjoyed it… I could eat that stuff every day almost!

I had no idea there’d be so many amazing summer recipes on this thread! I can’t wait to try the cold soups (I can’t say gazpacho or DH won’t try it. It’ll take work to get him to try cold soup!) as well as all the others!

• 2ManyDiversions
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Cathy, that looks delicious... I wonder where you found that... care to share? LOL! Yeah, I know about wondering if you are using too much dressing or too little. I tend to go overboard on dressings for DH, so I kept adding... Yours looks great : ) I did get so tired of ours (3 days running) that I left some on my plate the last night, and found DH eating it all as he was washing the dishes! He looked so sheepish, but I loved that he enjoyed them so much!

• sherri1058
    5 years ago

I have a roasted beet and quinoa salad with caramelized pecans that is a hit at our house. I think it must be the pecans, because DH declares that he hates beets!

2-3 bunches baby beets (about 10-12)
    1 cup mixed colour quinoa
    Mixed greens or arugula
    1/4 to 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
    100 ml olive oil
    1 heaped cup pecans
    1/2 cup sugar

Preheat oven to 375F. Peel and quarter beets. Place in roasting pan and toss with olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper. Cover and roast for 1-1 1/2 hours until beets are tender.

Rinse quinoa. Bring 1 1/2 cups of water to boil, add quinoa and season with salt. Reduce heat and simmer for 12-15 minutes. Cool before adding to salad.

Dressing:
    1 tbsp. finely chopped shallot
    2 tbsp. balsamic or red wine vinegar
    3 tbsp. olive oil
    salt and pepper
    Combine ingredients in a sealed container and shake.

Caramelized pecans
    Place sugar and pecans in a pan on medium-high heat. Do not stir. Swirl until sugar melts. Pour onto foil lined cookie sheet and leave to harden. Do not refrigerate. Chop into small pieces.

To serve
    Line platter with mixed greens, add beets and sprinkle quinoa. Drizzle dressing before serving, sprinkle caramelized pecans.

Note: I also like to top with feta cheese.

I also love this thread!

• User
    5 years ago

I make a fresh corn salad, with tomatoes, cukes, etc. but I use lime juice instead of vinegar. and crumble goat cheese of queso fresco over it.

• Jasdip
    5 years ago

Cathy, I don't even measure the dressing for the potatoes. It's so easy, I just pour and add mustard. I like enough dressing to coat all the potatoes, and a couple of tbsp doesn't do it.

I'm making more in a few minutes, to use up the potatoes that are not keeping in this heat.

Yum, I just put the dressing on, and am waiting for them to cool just enough so that I don't burn my mouth. The heck with waiting for dinner, and something to eat with them!

2ManyDiversions thanked Jasdip
  • 2ManyDiversions
    Original Author
    5 years ago

sherri1058, you just changed my mind about Ina's beet salad next week with your beet salad recipe, and that takes a lot given it's Ina! DH loves caramelized pecans in a salad (ok, so do I!), and the other ingredients sound up our alley - love the addition of quinoa!

Agree, these recipes and ideas are pretty much saving me this summer - aw heck, they're saving me this week! I can't believe all the easy, great recipes I'm dying to try! Also, it's amazing how my mind goes blank for 'what to make' too often.

Thank you momj47 - I've really gotten my tastes set for lime this year, and that sounds simple and good : )

Now, I somehow need to get some of those frozen popsicle forms for Cathy's frozen yogurt berry popsicles : ) Someone keeps reminding me I'm accumulating way too many things for a temporary kitchen... : /

• cathyinpa
    5 years ago

My grandmother would love that he was taking care of the potato salad. Me? I'm loving that he was washing the dishes 2Many!!!! Get that electrical stuff out of the way before popsicle forms (although they are pretty good:)

Jasdip, EXACTLY!!! I just referenced your/our pre-dinner snacking enjoyment on the WFD thread HA!!!! Your salad looks so good too, and way too hard to wait for dinner. I really was shocked at how well that went -- very tentative at first -- toe in the water kind of deal:)

sleevendog -- i like that "cheap" ikea bowl big time.

bookmarking this thread!

CathyinSWPA

• Jasdip
    5 years ago

Oh, right! Bookmarking! If I save it to my idea book, does it keep up with the comments, or is it saved to this point? I just tried it, and it saved just this comment. I have to find the Bookmarking tab again. Got it. I saved the initial comment and the 74 comments.

2ManyDiversions thanked Jasdip
  • chloebud
    5 years ago

Just thought of another one for warm weather, or anytime of the year, for that matter...Ina's Pasta Pesto and Peas. The recipe makes A LOT, including more dressing than needed, IMO. Just depends on your own taste and/or how many you're feeding. This is also good with strips of grilled chicken breast added for more of a main dish.

If you watch the video in this link, the ingredient amounts are more to my liking vs what's listed in the printed recipe. I also use a pound of pasta...usually just the bow ties or penne. Any pasta you like is fine.

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/pasta-pesto-and-peas-recipe-1951576

2ManyDiversions thanked chloebud
  • mamapinky0
    5 years ago
  • 2ManyDiversions
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Chloebud, that sounds good – love pine nuts, love peas, love pasta, love spinach! I think adding some grilled chicken slices on top is a perfect idea – great flavor combination.

Mamapinky, I love you : ) DH, on the other hand, won’t so much… : ) Maybe he’ll soften after trying a healthier version of ice cream - which I don't buy for him anymore!

A few more salads which have been posted here before at some time or another:

Orange ‘maters, mozz cheese slices, pesto (I used a bit of garlic scape here, but basil pesto would be good and for those who don’t have fresh herbs it can be found in the grocery store… Added chives and chive blossoms but green onions would work. A very light drizzle of vinaigrette.

Nan’s vegetable salad (Nan was my best high school friend’s mom)

2 large stalks fresh broccoli, cut into florets

1 fresh cauliflower, cut into bite size pieces

3 stalks celery, sliced

1 gr. pepper, sliced and chopped

1 small white onion, grated

8 large button mushrooms, sliced

Mix the above and put in a large Tupperware bowl… very large!

1 ½ cups vegetable oil

1 cup sugar

2 tsp salt

2 Tbls dry mustard

2 Tbls poppy seeds

½ cup white vinegar

Whisk together the above, add to veggies, allow to marinate in fridge at least a couple hours. Very refreshing and a hit anytime I take it to a get-together. DH eats this faster than the corn and tomato salad above.

Spinach, pink lady or other apple slices, Gorgonzola/blue cheese, vinaigrette with shallots and whole grain mustard.

And also an easy summer (and winter) entree: Croissants with ham slices and horsey sauce on one side, and Dijon, Gruyere and thin onions on the other half, toasted them put together while cheese is still melty.

• 2ManyDiversions
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Cathy, I keep 'saving' each individual recipe, and I should have just bookmarked the whole thread like you!

5 years ago

MMM, that looks good. Just reminded me of a summer favorite. S&MdoubleA-BLT

SmokedSalmon, mozzarella, avocado/apple, bacon/or crisped prosciutto, garden tomato over baby greens. No bread. A bit of blue cheese if I have it. Nuts. I always have pistachios, pecans and pepitas.

Did a pasta salad test last night. We had baked cod fillets. Too much veg matter, but I only had a few medium potatoes. Took just a few minutes to slice and chop I lost track of the amounts....made a quick tuna salad with all the leftovers. Leftover creamy dressing perfect for that as well. Win-win.

DH likes both so that was no help. Mine is pretty much spot on to yours. Same dressing. Herbs and veg is whatever I have on hand for the most part. The other one is my yogurt dressing. Not at all what Annie and pllog were discussing. Plain non-fat greek yogurt need lots of seasonings to make a good and creamy dressing. That one usually has olives, egg, bacon, and blue cheese garnish. Lots of celery.

We decided to make both in a combo. The creamy dressing and the garnish on the side like some do with baked potatoes.

DH picked up the Napa cabbage and fennel for the slaw. On reason for the testing was to see if fennel would be good in a potato salad. I realize I do many odd flavor combinations but yuck. I just took a small slice and a bit of frond with a bite. Yuck.

Love fennel slaw on its own, other side of plate.

• 2ManyDiversions
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Sleevendog: “SmokedSalmon, mozzarella, avocado/apple, bacon/or crisped prosciutto, garden tomato over baby greens. No bread. A bit of blue cheese if I have it. Nuts.”

Now, that is what sounds good to me. More than good. And I like the “no bread” part. Sometimes one just wants a carb-free meal. ‘One’ being me, not DH. Had a little discussion with DH (the seafood hater) the other night about cold salmon (he loves salmon, just screaming hot). The man did not look happy about that. Perhaps he will… I have turned him on to other foods he said he didn’t like.

…but Sleevendog, be careful not to say “DH and I enjoyed our S&MdoubleA-BLT last night” to just anyone… you might get some leather straps for your birthday!

“Not at all what Annie and pllog were discussing.” LOL! Poor, poor Annie! Her plain yogurt and potatoes – she hated that! And now none of us now will be trying fennel in our potato salads, that’s for sure! I’ll take some of each please, sans fennel ; )

Sherry, I was in a bind yesterday, so yes, I put together your Fire and Ice salad (that was fast and I already had everything) and we did enjoy it!

sherri1058, tomorrow night is your corn/black bean/mango salad… happily found some nice mangos for once! I live in nowhere land, clearly. The checkout person didn't know what it was. Eeesh.

• seagrass_gw Cape Cod
    5 years ago

2Many - I just put together your corn and tomato salad to have with dinner tonight. It's a keeper! Thank you so much.

2ManyDiversions thanked seagrass_gw Cape Cod
  • User
    5 years ago

Glad you liked the Fire and Ice salad, 2ManyDiversions. I have about 4 or 5 similar ones! I'm having it tonight. (Hubby won't eat it.)

• cathyinpa
    5 years ago

2Many great recipes on this thread (is that something like a play on words 2Many?):)!

I'm not kidding -- can't skim this one.

You guys that are getting great tomatoes???? You're killing me. I bought what I thought were great tomatoes from a farmers market, the skins are like heavy wallpaper. I just ate the sourdough "croutons" with some parmesan because I didn't want them to go to waste:)

Mamapinky0 referenced some great popsicle molds, 2Many. I ended up using these (can I shoot this any closer:) cause I have 0 room in freezer. That said, I have been known to sacrifice ice cube tray space to fit these in.

Popsicle Molds

2Many -- your last pic has my DH written all over it.

CathyinSWPA

• 2ManyDiversions
    Original Author
    5 years ago

seagrass_gw, so glad you enjoyed it!

Sherry, well, if you've got 4-5 similar ones... share! I sure could use them!!! Pretty please :)

Cathy, sorry about your tomatoes... I had some tommy-toes similar - thick skins but not inedible. The flavor surpassed the skins :) The regular size tomatoes I picked up from our farmer's market yesterday had slightly thick skins - not bad. This year's local crop I'm thinking, due to strange weather! Taste was good, but not like year's past.

I'd seen those pop molds too and was debating between... I have zero freezer space as well, so these would work better, and also I like that the handles can be washed and used again. Sometimes my teeth feel weird with cold stuff and wood, you know what I mean? One great thing about the others mamapinky showed was they make more for larger crowds/families, and you can toss the handle when done. I think yours however, would be more useful for just DH and I :)

I know why you added yet another close up of a berry pop! You're trying to get me to make 'em! Oh, I will! Gosh those look so good.

• mamapinky0
    5 years ago

I can't take credit for the popsicle molds. Cathyinpa had them linked on her recipe for her frozen bars.

I just picked up some molds at Walmart. They are slightly smaller holding a tad less than Cathys 1/3'rd cup liquid but only 50 cents for a 4 piece mold. I'll just eat two. Lol

I picked up some greek yogurt and fresh blackberries yesterday with the intent of making these yesterday but realized I need to orginize my freezer to fit them in which I wasn't doing last night.

Cathy Thank You for sharing your frozen yogurt bars. I'm raising grand kids and this will be an easy more healthy treat for them.

2Many I know exactly what you mean about the wooden sticks and teeth. Gives me chills just thinking about it.

• 2ManyDiversions
    Original Author
    5 years ago

mama, would you please post and let us know how your grandkids felt about these when you get around to them? I have a kid, I mean a DH, who eats only nutty-buddies, ice cream sandwiches, etc., and I'm wondering if he'll go for yogurt pops. I know I would...

• 2ManyDiversions
    Original Author
    5 years ago

...also, mamapinky has a nice quick dessert she'd like to tell you all about (or I'd like her to tell you all about!)... involves pineapples and ice cream ; ) Share please!

• plllog
    5 years ago

2Many, if there are keepers, especially with photos you want, you'd do best to save locally.

2ManyDiversions thanked plllog
  • mamapinky0
    5 years ago

2Many that wasn't me that made the pineapple with ice cream. I think it was Jasdip but it sure looked good.

Made my frozen yogurt bars. There smaller but I can use the size to justify eating two.

2Many i'll let you know what my husband thinks of them.

• mamapinky0
    5 years ago

My grandsons loved them but than what's not to love, yogurt and sweet juicy fruit. I REALLY like them, not to sweet not to tart. I made a bit to much fruit for it so it will go on waffles tomorrow for the boys breakfast with a dollop of whipped cream.

• sooz
    5 years ago

This is an easy go-to....but only the right side of the plate! Shrimp salad sliders, sliced cantaloupe, tossed green salad (not pictured were the fresh strawberries and bleu cheese in the salad).

The plate o'food is from a small pot luck I attended this week. Deliciousness was also found on the left side of the plate, but the enchiladas and Spanish rice aren't really *hot weather simple* items.

2ManyDiversions thanked sooz
  • cathyinpa
    5 years ago

Yeah, mamapinky0!!! Do you know how many fond memories I have of my grandmother cooking/baking/making special things for me???? And she was a true Pittsburgher:)! Love it!

2Many -- you know, if that kiddo, er DH:), is missing the nutty, you could probably have a bag of nuts and dip one in after your remove from mold, or he could have a special dip bowl and dip as he goes to feel real special:) Sorry, I want him to still crunch, but for your sake, on his side of the bed LOL!

sooz -- I'll take spanich rice and enchiladas no matter what the weather. going to your pc post to give recipe for enchiladas;)

CathyinSWPA

• 2ManyDiversions
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Plllog, good advice, thank you. I keep triple back-up for work, but am way behind in getting everything here printed, saved, and/or noted! There’s just so much!

Mamapinky, yep, it was Jasdip who posted it on WFD, and bragu added to that, but I thought it was you who made them before at 2:00am? : ) Gosh those look so packed full of berries! Ok, you’ve talked me into them!

Sooz, I’d never have thought of shrimp salad sliders – and even just a nice simple shrimp salad would be perfect! Great addition to this thread!

Cathy, thank goodness DH probably won’t read this, because I do not want to give him the opportunity to get any more nuts in the bed! LOL! As the bed is currently the only place to watch tv now, and the only true comfortable place to sit (if that’s what one can call it!), we do enough snacking there! I swear sometimes I could find a meal in the sheets! I know, ew! But those darned plastic chairs are killin’ my back and behind!

• mamapinky0
    5 years ago

2Many The frozen yogurt bars were not to my husbands liking. I thought he may feel this way. Oh he ate it and a second one but said the store bought frozen treats remain his favorite. Of course this is a man that likes all treats to be super sweet and dripping chocolate. My grandsons told him there's something wrong with his tastebuds probably from all the fried foods you eat pap. Lol.

• cathyinpa
    5 years ago

mamapinky0 -- HAHAHAHA! That gets a big smile from me!

2Many -- meant to comment on your thoughts re: tomatoes. I have this vision of picking up a tomato in the store, taking a bite out it of like an apple, chewing, spitting, tossing it over my shoulder and saying 'just checking the skins' to a shocked produce manager. Peeled one tonight like removing wallpaper. HA!

Put some chocolate chips in the frozen bars with strawberries -- they won't leave crumbs in bed!!!!!

CathyinSWPA

ps getting back to recipes, saw a recipe for potato salad with tahini -- on the fence with that one. DH keeps asking for the "mustard" one:)

• sherri1058
    5 years ago

Confession time. I haven't made it past the first recipe. That potato salad recipe is our new fav.... I think I've made it 3 times already! Time to move on! Problem is, which one next???

• 2ManyDiversions
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Mamapinky, I think my DH’s taste buds have suffered the same issue as yours – too much fried food in his past! BTW, didn't you mention a laundry channel on youtube you'll be hosting (on another thread?) I can't find the thread, but let us know for sure - I'll sub, and my first question pre-youtube is how to get those 'screaming hot whites' - please do a vid on that!

Cathy, I laughed out loud thinking of you spitting that tomato skin out and making the comment! Too funny! I have a good rapport with mine green grocer.. maybe coz I’m the only one asking for and buying some of the more unusual things here : ) Uh, chocolate chips in the yogurt bars… now you’re talkin’!!!

Sherri1058… and guess what we’ve been enjoying? Perfect with fajitas! Thank you so much for sharing this!

• cookebook
    5 years ago

Has anyone mentioned chicken salad? Made a simple one yesterday with lemon and tarragon.

2ManyDiversions thanked cookebook
  • chloebud
    5 years ago

cookebook, that looks so good! Love grapes in mine too. Chicken salad's another good use for rotisserie chickens.

2ManyDiversions thanked chloebud
    5 years ago

A roasted whole chicken, spatchcocked on the grill, or from the grocery, has miles of uses and recipes. We often go ahead and roast two on the grill. Use that heat while at it.

I like grapes as well, and chopped apple, a little dried fruit like cranberries, nuts...cashews, pepitas, celery, red pepper, green onion, olives ........

• 2ManyDiversions
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Ya know cookebook, I don't think so! Chicken on top of mixed greens and other types salads with chicken in or on them, but not a full-on chicken salad! Thank you for that!

DH won't eat one without grapes! Favorite additions include but don't always use all of course: toasted pecans or almond slivers, dried cranberries, chopped fresh spinach, (pretty sure I see celery in yours, but isn't celery almost a given for chicken salad?!), red onion, bell peppers, chives, green onion... hard boiled egg once.

Seasonings include one or more: dill, tarragon, rosemary, parsley, Dijon, lemon juice as you've already mentioned... whatever tastes good!

• 2ManyDiversions
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Sleevendog, I really like the idea of olives in a chicken salad... I may try that (in mine only, DH is picky about them).

• mercurygirl
    5 years ago

My contribution from the other day, special shrimp pasta salad, adapted from my grandma's. You guys made me think of it.

I haven't been a great lover of tarragon, but perhaps fresh will make the difference. I grew chervil for a couple of years, but it hasn't returned in my garden. It had a lovely anise flavor. I'll try the tomatoes with the tarragon and the fire and ice one, too.

Last night I made a Thai salad with cabbage, cucumber, red pepper, herbs, etc. Grilled pork tenderloins to eat on top, today I cooked some rice noodles to add to leftovers. Adapted from NYT, it was a bit complicated, but will try simpler version again.

Gosh all this food makes the heat worthwhile!

2ManyDiversions thanked mercurygirl
  • 2ManyDiversions
    Original Author
    5 years ago

mercurygirl (I still think you're a superhero in hiding on the cooking forum) - I've found tons of shrimp pasta salads and shrimp salads online which look really good as a recipe base, but your Thai salad with grilled pork tenderloin looks the best to me! Adding rice noodles (and I can almost hear Sleevendog say 'miso paste broth') is a great way to extend to another meal : )

Dang, I keep forgetting to order my miso pastes.

cookebook, isn't it odd that sometimes we temporarily forget the basic things? I asked DH this morning what he wanted for an easy meal as we work, chicken salad or roast beef sandwiches... (your chicken salad reminded me he loves it!). He said chicken salad of course! Thanks again for the reminder!