SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kaboehm

As the end of August nears, can autumn be far behind?

So....August 20th = 20 days in a row of temperatures over 100 degrees F. I know Arif has it worse, but this is miserable!! (BTW- Arif...I have 2 adorable baby budgies in the nest...one blue and grey and the other yellow and grey!)

So...I made my weekly visit to the Hippi plantation on the sideyard (small by comparison to what some of the list members have) and found that everything is GREAT! In spite of the heat, they are growing extremely well under the reflective shade cloth (the do get 7 minutes of water every morning at 4 AM). Some of the tips of the leave are nearly shoulder level (I'm 68" tall), there are no signs of virus, no bulbs lost to rot, and many MANY large offsets growing well. To top it off, many of the year old seedlings are pushing out the sides of their 4" pots and are ready to be transplanted in 6" pots. That task will have to wait until Labor Day!! Maybe it will be cooler by then!!

I swept out the greenhouse today and readied the shelves for the arrivals in a couple of months. Yes...this is Season #3 for the amazing Pop-Up greenhouse!!

On the other side of the house, the virused bulbs are growing well in their special screen "house" - really more of an enclosed pup tent. They aren't as vigorous, but then, they are mostly neglected, not watered very often and only a little shaded. I did manage to get some blooms out of these bulbs this year...and I admired them from afar. They are pretty much "hands off". Yes...they are virused and I imagine they wouldn't do as well as they must be stressed, but they are, as I said, also neglected. I didn't think it was worth my time to see how they would thrive with care...they will stay where they are.

So...with no natural rain in the past 160 days and none in the near future (I remember posting about June days of the past where we got 6-7 inches of rain in a day...ahhhh...memories), I guess these bulbs will dry back when it cools off and I start watering. Maybe this year I won't have all the long strappy leaves to deal with in the greenhouse!! AND maybe, just maybe, I'll get blooms from my 2-year old homemade hybrids next year.

Orders are placed for a few give away bulbs and a couple replacements...but I'm not ordering too much. I'm giving a seminar in Jacksonville, FL on Oct 20 and each attendee will get a bulb (it's a small group). That should be fun!

Hope everyone is getting ready for the next season. Bulbs start shipping in about a month!! ARE YOU READY!?!

;-)

Kristi

Comments (6)

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio
More Discussions