SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
swimkin

Nearing End of Build Only a Few Days: What to expect?

Zoe52
9 years ago

We just sent in an amount on what we think we owe our builder yet on our residual C/O. Since we bought a lot of our own things (appliances, lighting , cabinet pulls and door hardware, etc. We don't owe him a lot of money out of the residual. He claims he already has a Certificate of Occupancy that he would hand over to us once we pay him the residual amount. We gave him a list of what we feel we are due from the residual and are waiting for him to answer what he feels he is due from the amount. I am sure we will have to negotiate over the residual. And we expect to be in soon.

However, he would like us to pay him the full amount of the C/O before he is done. The home is beautiful and he has done a great job. But he still has a number of things to do. And I have a problem with paying him the residual amount in full. He said he pulled his main crew off the job last week. So only the flooring guys were in the house Friday finishing the last top coat.

And so far this week we only have painting people touching things up and some cleaning people in there. Tomorrow builder said he would be back to install the little bit of sod that wasn't cut yet so they could finish the landscaping last week. He also designed and made all our trim work and cabinetry in his woodshop and is backlogged on finishing all that.

He has to install all the shoe trim along baseboards, install 167 cabinet doors and knobs, frame and install 3 bath mirrors and rehang some sconces, install screen panels on the entire back porch (the frames are still being made as we speak) and the front door needs a threshold installed. None of my window inserts or screens are in yet, either. And then there are adjustments to be made to the garage doors. And we are unsure how many other things we might want have to add to a list once they finish up the residual painting and finishing work.

So if we pay him in full, how can we expect to get him to complete this job?

Comments (9)