SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
heather_in_mn

Starting to build--advice on audio/video set up--)what to expect

heather_in_mn
14 years ago

Hi All,

We are hoping to break ground this week in St. Paul, MN(waiting on city permits....) on our new, contemporary home. We would like to have an audio/video set-up in the mid range, but are not sure what to expect. The GC has an AV guy he works with so I'm sure we'll be chatting with him, but I want to make sure I am prepared.

House is one level,open floor plan, with walk-out patio.

Here's what I'm hoping to do:

Audio speakers in kitchen/living/dining room/deck (zone 1), speakers in home gym in basement and outdoor patio area (zone 2). I would like to have volume controls for outdoor area, gym and living area if possible, but only one main control for living area and one for lower level.

Video distribution for living room, master bedroom, gym tv, and lower level family room. My dream is to be able to go to any of these areas, turn on the tv and chose to watch a dvd, cable or TIVO, so all this would come from one main media source in the lower level.

At some point we will have a surround sound setup in the family room, but will not purchase that yet.

We have a media closet designated in our house plans and to start with we will probably run the audio wires and possibly the speakers, and for the video runs and the surround system, running smurf tubes for future runs.

Does this sound like a good plan or something that is crazy? We don't need super high end, but since this will hopefully be our first and last build, we don't want to go cheap. We're willing to wait to complete the set up but want to have tubes put in for future installation.

Any help/ideas is greatly appreciated :)

Heather in MN

Comments (6)

Sponsored
More Discussions