SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
phongdor

Nearing wit's end for the Gritty Hunt in San Jose, CA

phongdor
12 years ago

Hello folks! I am doing my absolute best to stay positive and persevere, but this hunt for crushed granite (and bark fines to a lesser extent) is really testing me.

I live in San Jose, CA and my search for crushed granite has had me searching far and wide by car, phone, and internet. I have called and visited nurseries, feed stores, hardware stores, landscaping suppliers, roofing suppliers, rockeries, and nothing. Feed has added crushed oyster shells (I suspect this is a regional thing), rockeries and landscaping suppliers only go as low as 1/4" crushed granite, with about 10% yield if you screen for 1/8" (granite. is. heavy.). Everyone else was clueless and/or laughed at me for trying to use rocks for plants...

I am continuing the search, but I sure would appreciate some help if anyone can spare some! I will try calling a few more suppliers directly to see if they have local distributors.

I've driven all the way to Redwood City to a particular landscaping supplier (an hour each way) for crushed granite, which I've read was supposed to work, but it looked a bit big to me and after sifting it I got maybe a 10-15% yield of 1/8" fines >.<. while it nice to build some muscle sifting all that granite i would much rather spend my gardening time...gardening save the workout for gym thanks. special-ordered a bag of manna pro poultry grit but incredibly overpriced just crushed granite. figure this will hold me over as continue search. even reached out local bonsai clubs few times reason they are not very responsive.>As for bark fines, I bought some bags of repti bark from a local petsmart. It's also more expensive than bark fines should be, but the markup isn't nearly as bad as Manna Pro. Plus there's no sifting or washing involved, and it's the perfect size. Once I track down a source of grit, I will move onto a source for bark fines.

The only plus here, which I find interesting because it is the ingredient most people find most difficult to locate, is that Turface was cake to find. I hopped over to turface.com, found a local supplier that's 5 minutes from me, and that same day, I had a nice big 50lb bag of Turface for about $12. Couldn't get easier than that, plus the guy gave me an extra bag, which he said he couldn't sell because it was ripped. I thanked him and they earned my loyalty.

I understand that these ingredients were not designed with accessibility in mind; this mix was designed for the good of the plants, and that's what keeps me going. That said, I feel I've put in quite a lot of effort and I please ask that the folks of GW do not frown upon me for asking for help. I promise I'm not just being lazy. I've searched through the regional supply thread for leads and I've added what I've found. Sorry this post was so massive and maybe a little ranty!

Good Growing,

Phong

Comments (11)

Sponsored
Buckeye Basements, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars31 Reviews
Central Ohio's Basement Finishing ExpertsBest Of Houzz '13-'21