SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
songmak

What to expect during layout phase of custom build?

K V
8 years ago

Looking for some advise to see if my wife and I have incorrect expectations on the layout design phase of a custom build or if our experience so far is not how the process should flow.

Long story short, we identified a lot and builder. Have been working through the builder who works with an architect. Prior to this process I had grand plans of what this process would look like. I envisioned an architect that could take the survey and get really creative with the kind of space we could put on the land that also matched our want list.

So far we seem to only get rectangle designs with no creativity. It took us drawing out our own plans before they even produced something with dimension, and even those plans were just a copy of what we supplied as an idea. I should also mention that prior to the most recent layout, we had to notify them that the previous layout provided would not even fit on the land.

So I guess the question is what should we expect during this process? How does this phase usually flow? Are we expecting too much in terms of creativity, etc.? This was the part I was originally looking forward too the most but have found myself disenchanted with the whole process.

Comments (19)