SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rmk123

Kitchen layout: New construction after years in design phase

rmk123
6 years ago

Hi y'all,

We are finally starting building on our forever home in North Carolina. The framing is progressing more rapidly than expected and I need to finalize the layout of the kitchen in the next week or two. It's been nearly 4 years since we bought the land and started the design process, so it's still a little surreal. I've been gathering wonderful ideas from this site and contributors that whole time, so thanks in advance for helping with the final design.

The house is on 10 acres and the house faces north east (kitchen has a view southwest to the future pool and large backyard.) We are a family of 4, with 8 & 4 year old children. We cook a lot and use our kitchen for multiple meals daily.

The main level will have a ceiling height of 10' and have the cabinets go all of the way to the top, with the top cabinet being decorative. I can reach the top shelf in my current 9' height kitchen so I am not concerned about reach.

For appliances, we've decided on a 30" double oven and a 36" induction cooktop. I also bake bread almost daily and would like to have a bread baking/toasting and Kitchenaid storage in a cabinet similar to this:

https://www.houzz.com/photos/magnificent-larder-kitchen-traditional-kitchen-surrey-phvw-vp~15778800

We ideally would like separate fridge/freezers (24-30" wide each) but DH and I are still negotiating. Any recommendations on this set up, size, brands, etc. would be helpful.

As for the layout, a double or triple sink under the window is set. I'd really like to have the cooktop on the island facing the breakfast room/window so the cook doesn't have their back to the room. I'd also like to widen the island by about a foot so that there is 18" on each side of the cooktop top. Can I get granite, quartz or quartize in a slab that wide? Need some suggestions on bar seating - we don't use our current ones much but it could be current kitchen and I think I'd like to at least have 2 or 3 seat available. Is the prep sink appropriately placed? How big of a sink should this be?

Is it OK to have the double oven close/next to the Refrig/Freezer? We have 8' to work with and oven is 30" wide. If we go with 30" Refrigerator and Freezer, we will fit with about 6 inches to spare. If we choose smaller individual units or a joint unit, we'll have extra cabinet space.

I'd like to do the wall facing the living room (not shown) be the bread/appliance center. I'd like it to look more like furniture similar to the photo below, hence why the oven is on the bottom wall instead of in the cabinet near the living room.

https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-home-remodel-with-dark-cherry-kitchen-traditional-kitchen-chicago-phvw-vp~8983179

The opening on the right side (sink wall) leads to the mudroom and the hall at the bottom to the butlers pantry and 5'x5' pantry.

Thanks so much in advance!

Comments (17)