SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
christie_sw_mo

Journal - End of August - Somebody stop the weeds!

christie_sw_mo
18 years ago

Has everyone gotten caught up on rain? Our yard is wonderfully green again and needs to be mowed but it's HOT out there. I didn't check but I think the humidity must be very high.....or maybe I'm just in pathetic shape. lol

I pulled a few weeds, picked some melons and came back in for a drink.

Had to look back at the last journal to see how big my watermelons were. The ones that were golfball sized when I posted on the 14th are now bigger than a large cantelope. They are planted on the south side of my mulch pile and growing up the side of it where they get a tremendous amount of sun. The two vines there are HUGE. They caught up with and passed my other watermelons. I was afraid the mulch would shade the roots too much but I think they like it. : )

My orange butterfly weed is blooming again for the third time. I'm so glad I planted that. I didn't know it was such a long bloomer.

My purple coneflowers have quit. Will they bloom again? I deadheaded them. I have 'Magnus'.

Still waiting for my Marshall's Delight monarda to bloom again. I may rip it out if it doesn't rebloom. It was pretty but it didn't last long enough.

My little volunteer crape myrtle is blooming. It's a seedling from Acoma which is a hardy white variety but this one is a bright watermelon pink/magenta whatever - a common color for crape myrtle but so pretty. Once again I planted something in a temporary spot (why do I do that?) and I will have to move it. It's too close to my fence.

Phlox 'David' is still blooming and Liatris I got from Moko at a local exchange - I can't remember seeing him post in a long time. Hope he's ok. Does anyone keep in touch with them?

The fruit on my flowering dogwood is starting to turn red. The bluebirds took care of those last year. The berries are turning on Profusion beauty berry too.

Grape Annual vinca still going strong.

Two kinds of tuberose - My double one is much more fragrant than the other, almost a sickening sweet smell that's better if you don't get too close.

My mums don't look as good this year as normal. I think I should've fertilized them or something. Maybe that drought was just too hard on them.

Also blooming - Celosia, zinnias, fragrant hostas, cypress vine, salvias 'Black and Blue, May Night, a mystery red one and guaranitica, Homestead Purple verbena, butterfly bush, cannas, Moonbeam coreopsis, my neglected rose bush, and a big thistle that I need to dig out that was hiding behind a viburnum.

Comments (15)