SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
grant_in_arizona

What's looking great, good or awful in your garden? JULY 2012

grant_in_arizona
11 years ago

Hi everyone,

Whew! There's no denying that it is HOT here in the afternoons these days. Hopefully you're getting out there nice and early to work in the garden before the temperatures get too warm. It was actually 79 F when I got outside this morning, but it's been low 80's most mornings this week.

In any case, this month and next are, to me, the toughest months in our gardens in terms of visual interest, so let's share what's looking great, or good, or awful. Several plants in my garden are a bit more heat stressed than usual due to a good neighbor who recently trimmed their hopseed/oleander hedge low (to be a polite neighbor, and I sure appreciate living in such a great neighborhood). Their hedge had given some shade to some plants in my garden that are now getting more sun than the last couple of years. They are showing a little stress but I think most will be fine. I'm just happy the neighbors did their trimming in late winter so that it wasn't a suddenly-sunny-in-summer situation.

Anyway, here's a pic of a fun double-flowered Adenium obesum that's been blooming on my patio this week, plus a quick and casual picture looking north-northwest towards the narrow part of my covered patio. Nothing too fancy, but definitely a good selection of work-horse plants in the garden (no-spine prickly pear (Opuntia)), lantana, datura, vincas (Catharanthus roseus), aloes, cacti and some other goodies. Nothing fancy for sure, but definitely good performers year round.

{{gwi:410960}}

{{gwi:410961}}

Okay, your turn. Stay cool, keep than sunblock handy (and wide-brimmed hats) and happy gardening!

Take care,

Grant

Comments (37)