SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
grant_in_arizona

June 2015 what looks good/bad/awful in your garden?

grant_in_arizona
8 years ago

Welcome to June! Sure, the days are hot, but the nights sure are lovely. I still throw open all of the windows and doors of the house each morning--it was a lovely 68 F this morning so THAT makes the afternoons tolerable. For now, hah. Actually, I'm a heat lover so I never really complain about the heat.

In any case, we're off to a warm start for the month. What's looking good/bad/awful in your garden?

Here are a couple of good:

Merremia aurea blooming away. Great vigorous vines once established with flowers that open in the sun and stay open all day long. Surprisingly drought tolerant thanks to their big underground tuber. Full crazy hot sun and occasional water keep them happy and blooming.

Here's a first-time-for-me experience that I've seen others mention online this year too; my little Portulacaria afra ("elephant food" or "dinosaur food") is blooming for the first time. I've grown these plants in the Valley for over 15 years now and this is the first time I've ever seen them flower. Not just mine, but lots of them all over the area. Not particularly inspirational looking flowers, LOL, but they DO show the plants are happy:

I love the variegated foliage on this 'Green and Gold Margarita" ornamental sweet potato. I hope you do too.

Okay, YOUR turn...what looks good/bad/awful in your garden this month?

Happy gardening!

Grant

Comments (77)