SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
catrus_gw

My seedling

catrus
17 years ago

I have been hybridizing amaryllis for over 15 years. This is the first year for this bloom. Have you seen one like it before? If, so what's the name? {{gwi:406826}}Here are some of my seedlings
Follow-Up Postings:

RE: My seedling

• Posted by: haxuan Vietnam (My Page) on Mon, Apr 23, 07 at 23:20

Beautiful! I have never seen this in real life.
Thanks for sharing.

Xuan

It's like Single Promise.

Worth any ones collection. What is the size.
ARIF

• Posted by: catrus MS z8 (sheila.stewart@colin.edu) on Wed, Apr 25, 07 at 7:50

Thanks Xuan and soultan. I can't find a picture of Single Promise. ARIF, thanks, too. It's 7 inches at the widest part.

Very nice flower Sheila. And good picture as well. Do you know the parentage of it?

• Posted by: catrus MS z8 (sheila.stewart@colin.edu) on Wed, Apr 25, 07 at 10:23

Houstonpat, my first crosses were with Apple Blossom and Minerva. I've made many crosses since using my seedlings. I'm sure I crossed this one with the old fashioned white with red stripes. Here are some of my seedlings from 2005:

If anyone knows the names of the species that I have called old or the one from Debra, I would appreciate it. The old one never sets seeds but I have used pollen to cross. This one blooms again in July. Debra sent me seeds in 1998 for her species from Australia. She forgot the name.

Here is a link that might be useful: Blooms from 2005

Hehe catrus,
I didn't mean that there is a variety like that. I meant it looks like Promise, just single. Promise is a double variety, with similar colors and veins.

The veins do look somewhat like Promise, but Promise is very double and a huge flower, and the veining is somewhat different.

Where are you in Mississippi?

Catrus that is a really beautiful flower!

Yes Catrus I would like to know the mane of that one you call old with red and white stripes too. It was my very first Hippeastrum and the one that got me hooked!

• Posted by: catrus MS z8 (sheila.stewart@colin.edu) on Fri, Apr 27, 07 at 7:40

Hi Dizzy,
I was hoping somebody would tell me what the old one is. I got it from my aunt years ago. I had done research a while back and I think it's Hippaestrum striatum.
I found where Debra said hers was Hippeastrum reticulatum var. striatifolium. My database says she sent those seeds in 1997.

Post a Follow-Up
Your Name:

Your Email Address:

Zone (optional):

Subject of Posting:

Optional Link URL:

Name of the Link:

A copy of your follow-up will automatically be emailed to the original poster.
Return to the Amaryllis/Hippeastrum Forum

Comments (11)

Sponsored
More Discussions