SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
smord

Why not amend soil?

smord
14 years ago

Hi! I've been reading through this forum as I plan for landscaping my backyard in the spring. I've noticed many comments about NOT amending soil before planting trees.

My question is - why? Specifically - what is the harm and how can I avoid those harms when I need to add something just to have enough soil? (And why do the recommendations seem to be different for perennials?) When I planted bushes in front this year, I added organic garden center soil to the back fill, and keep going out to add soil as the soil settles (trying to make sure the roots are close enough to the surface, of course). We'll see how they survive the winter.

Here is my situation: I'm in a newly built house that started with no landscaping, a lot of fill dirt from who-knows-where, and a lot of compacting. I also have no extra dirt I can move from one place to another.

In the spring, I plan to till the entire backyard under, largely to get a smooth surface, remove the nails, etc so I can have a comfy lawn for my toddler to play on.

I figured I would do that right up to the property lines where I plan to plant ferns, shrubs, small trees, and perennials around the perimeter (I'll be asking lots of tree selection advice in the future...)

We figured we'd add a bunch of extra soil of some sort from a garden center or compost from a recycling center while we till under the grass and clover (and weeds weeds weeds)

Should I not till around the edges where I will be planting trees? What should I use to add to the backfill to make sure I have enough soil when I plant the trees so the tree isn't sunk into the ground when the soil settles?

Thanks!

-Sarah

Comments (31)