SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
robbiemac_gw

Amending soil after soil test

robbiemac
11 years ago

I'm prepping beds for potatoes to be planted next year. I received the results of a soil test and need some help. The recommendations from the lab seem to be somewhat generic for annual vegs, and not specific to potatoes. (For example, they recommend applying lime for a correction, but I know that no lime should be applied before planting potatoes. They even note that the soil is "strongly acidic, suitable for... potato crops...") Their recommendations are also mostly for fertilizers, and not for applying minerals to permanently amend the soil.

My soil is very sandy. I am presently working at screening out rocks & debris, and tilling in as much organic material as I can. Just wondering if any of you can supply some additional suggestions.

Results are for macronutrients (in pounds per acre). Phosphorous (27)- below optimum; Potassium (64)- below optimum; Magnesium (148)- optimum; and Calcium (455)- below optimum. These results are on a bar graph, but don't say how much of any item is "optimal"

Micronutrients in parts per million. Zinc (3.45) adequate; Copper (2.16) adequate; Manganese (2.04) adequate; Boron (.58) low; and Iron (92.61) adequate.

I'm thinking along the lines of amendments such as greensand, kelp, rock phosphate, sul-po-mag, etc... Any ideas?

Comments (9)