SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
grant_in_arizona

March 2013: what looks good/bad in your garden?

grant_in_arizona
11 years ago

Hi everyone,

Happy March! Yup, it's almost spring and FINALLY the weather is nice. I sure hope it stays this way. I don't know about you, but in my 13 years here in the Valley this was my least favorite winter. Gray, frosty, gloomy. Yuck! This last weekend, and today, have been heavenly.

I've cleaned up most of the carnage from the record breaking cold snap in early January, and am propagating plants that did great, and composting those that didn't. What about you?

Here are a few things looking really nice right now.

Aloe myriostigma finally mature enough to flower. I got it several years ago as a seedling and it should be a reliable late-winter blooming in the future.

{{gwi:398854}}

A beautiful, disastrous mess on the patio. Clashing gaudy colors, same-sized leaves, all the things that DON'T make up Good Garden Design. Yes, somehow, I love this corner of the patio, overflowing with petunias, oxalis, geraniuns, lobelias, pansies and ageratum

{{gwi:398856}}

Finally, something a bit more restrained, a nice compact powdery blue Agave parryi with some Euphorbia ridiga starting to bloom nearby. Talk about an easy, fun combination: just give them sun and slop water on them once a week or every ten days and you're good. Easy!

{{gwi:398857}}

What about in your garden? What looks great? Awful? Have you made any deliberate changes due to this past winter weather? We'd love to see/hear!

Happy gardening!
Grant

Here is a link that might be useful: Pics from my garden March 2013

Comments (25)