SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
grant_in_arizona

What's looking good in your March 2011 garden?

grant_in_arizona
13 years ago

Hi everone,

Okay, I'll admit it, I have a LOT of things that DON'T look good in my garden right now, LOL, but some plants are looking good so I thought I'd share them and ask to see what's looking good in your garden too.

Below are a few pics I've taken in my little garden this month that I thought you might enjoy. Feel free to share some from yours too. :)

Good ol' "desert bluebells" (Phacelia campanularia) starting to bloom. A super easy spring annual. Just plant seeds in November or so for spring blooms. If you let several plants go to seed, you'll never need to buy seed again. Really easy and a nice, true blue.

{{gwi:399044}}

Scilla peruviana starting to bloom as well. These are very easy bulbs to grow. Just plant them in autumn for spring blooms. They disappear into dormancy when the weather gets hot and they re-emerge in mid-winter. They just get bigger and better each year. The hardest part of growing them is to remember where they are in summer when they're dormant so you don't accidentally dig them up or stab them in the heart! No need to keep them on life support (drip irrigation) in summer either. What's not to love???

{{gwi:399046}}

For my fellow cactus lovers, here's a section of my back yard that I just re-did. These cacti where in the ground (a tall furry "snow pole" Cleistocactus and an Opuntia I started from a cutting) but I dug them up and planted them in these large glazed red pots to add some more height and color to that part of the garden. I also dug up and re-located that aloe (Aloe cryptopoda) in front of the red pots too just to give it more light. The fun, spiny "Cape aloe" (A. ferox) has been in that spot on the right for years. Nothing fancy, but an improvement if you ask me.

{{gwi:399047}}

Below is a link to my March 2011 garden photo album in case the embedded pics don't work for some folks. None of these plants got covered during the winter.

Okay, enough about me. Your turn. :)

Happy gardening,

Grant

Here is a link that might be useful: My March 2011 garden pics

Comments (19)

Sponsored
We believe that great design should be accessible to everyone