SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
grant_in_arizona

What's looking good February 2012?

grant_in_arizona
12 years ago

Hi everyone,

Wow, can you believe this weather?? Lovely, lovely, lovely! I am really enjoying myself this winter, although I'm staying alert for some late season frost (none so far this winter yet). In any case, the garden is looking really good, so I thought we could share some pics of what's looking good (or awful, LOL) in our gardens this month.

Here's my fun/tacky "salsa" bowl filled with blue flowered lobelia and a fish pot that I bought for just a dollar or two. Lobelia is such a great performer here autumn, winter and spring. It self-sows nicely too with the seed surviving the long hot summer and re-sprouting in autumn. Wilson the tennis ball is in the pic to show relative size.

{{gwi:396098}}

Here's good ol' mother of thousands (Bryophyllum, formerly Kalanchoe) blooming away. Yes, this is that weedy plant that makes plantlets all along the leaf edge and is a houseplant in a lot of cold winter areas. Mine bloom in mid-winter and then die (like agaves and bromeliads do), but there are always plenty (too many?) of replacements to fill their spot.

{{gwi:396099}}

Finally here's a non-flashy combination that I still like. It's some Euphorbia biglandulosa starting to color up around the base of a huge-paddle prickly pear. The Euphorbia is a nice, leafy plant that looks great cascading down slopes or hanging/tall containers. The acid yellow/chartreuse looks especially nice with other colors. Individual stems bloom, set seed, and then die, so I just trim them down to two inches or so and a new crop of stems emerges soon after. Plus non-blooming stems last for a year or three, so the plant always has several stems. I slop water on it once a week when it's hot and once a month when it's not. It self-sows too if you let it. You'll find seeds quite a distance away from the parent plant since the seeds are ejected as the ripe seed pod *pops* open.

{{gwi:396100}}

Hope to see/hear updates from your beautiful Arizona garden too!

Take care,

Grant

Here is a link that might be useful: Grant's garden photos (so far) February 2012

Comments (25)