SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
digit_gw

vegetable names, Asian & Hmong

digit
18 years ago

Hi Everyone,

I've been growing Asian vegetables for a long time. Hmong greens, mostly.

Finding English corresponding names has been nearly impossible and that shouldn't surprise anyone. Most of us are just learning about these brassicas and their uses. Chinese names are a little more familiar and we, probably, all start from bok choy. Then, if you are like me, you hope that all the others are "choy this" or "that choy" - just so that we can mentally organize them.

Well, I think I've just determined that our "twisted stem" mustard is what the Chinese call gai choy. And, I've decided that my favorite (zaub paj) is choy sum.

Now, choy sum is apparently a generic Chinese word meaning "flowering vegetable." That may be okay since Hmong "zaub paj" means exactly that (forget the "b & j" when you pronounce it - zau pa). Hmong folks call all bok choy, "zaub paj." They are most interested in eating it as it begins to flower, and rightfully so. The one that we grow is much paler green and less compact than bok choy available in the oriental markets. The Shanghai bok choy is wonderful but the Hmong variety is delicious and more tender.

I have bought vegetable seeds from Evergreen and Kitazawa. I see that Evergreen now has a very helpful webpage on names. (You can go to www.evergreenseeds.com and click on "Asian Vegetable Names" on the left side.) The University of Melbourne has a very comprehensive international name list (see below). You can do google image searches and that helps - but not for Hmong vegetables!

1.)Are there any online Hmong seed sources that you know of?

2.)Have you found good information on the names of Hmong vegetables?

3.)Are there some university or extension websites with some descent, comprehensible information and photo's of Asian vegetables grown in the US?

Steve

Sorting Brassica rapa names:

http://www.plantnames.unimelb.edu.au/Sorting/Brassica_rapa.html#chinensis

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!