SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
psteinx

Suggestions for a zone 5/6 front yard tree

psteinx
14 years ago

I live in St. Louis County, Missouri, pretty much on the border between zones 5 and 6. My house is in a subdivision on a cul-de-sac - the front yard is sort of the front of a pie-wedge - kinda tight. The soil is bad - hard clay. I'll dig a hole for whatever I plant, but digging a big hole is hard.

The house is close to the top of a bluff/ridge and gets a fair amount of wind.

House was built in 1996, and two front-yard trees planted within a year or two of that - a pin oak and a dogwood.

The pin oak, as it grew, had an ugly shape, IMO, and was kinda close to the house and likely to be a problem, so I had it cut down last spring.

The dogwood is still there, but after ~13 years, has managed to grow from about 6' to about 10'. With more sun on it this year (with the pin oak gone, it probably gets 80% sun) it seems to have done worse than before, with little to no bloom in the spring, and looking unhealthy throughout the year.

The local nursery guy told me the dogwood needs more shade. The website of the Missouri Botanical Garden, however, says that Cornus Florida (I'm guessing that's the fancy name for my dogwood) is ok for full sun to part shade. In any case, it doesn't seem to be doing well.

Is there anything I could do that would likely help it? My only real maintenance is whatever it gets from the standard lawn fertilizer I spread a couple times a year or so.

===

If the dogwood *IS* not likely to thrive where it is, would it be realistic to dig it up and move it the woods to my backyard (where there is better soil and more shade)?

===

If I get rid of the dogwood, what could/should I plant?

I'd want something with a mature height of maybe 20-40', that provides decent shade (otherwise there's no source of shade in our front yard in the afternoon). Flowering is nice, but not absolutely necessary. Reasonable growth rate would be good. Tolerance for my awful "soil" and a lot of sun is important.

There are a lot of Bradford Pears in the neighborhood, which I like the look of, but they've taken a beating from wind and ice and such in the last few years. I sense a lot of folks here are down on not only Bradfords, but similar Pears that are supposedly hardier.

Redbuds are pretty, but I don't really like their spindly shape - they don't seem to be great shade trees.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

(Oh, also, the location I'd likely be planting is about 3-4' from phone and cable lines, and maybe 6' from a manhole cover in my front yard that presumably goes down to the sewer system. Are roots likely to be a problem?

Comments (4)