SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
amanda_t_gw

Please offer suggestions: Best yard trees in Zone 6

amanda_t
15 years ago

I am looking for suggestions for trees to plant on our large urban lot. We've been here for four years and intend to stay here forever, so we are looking for the right trees for both our immediate enjoyment, and also the long term enjoyment and beautification of this neighborhood. For that reason, my list of requirements is kind of broad and loose, and basically amounts to trees I like, and trees I hate. Within that, however, I want to make sure I'm choosing wisely. For instance, would the previous owners of our home have planted those river birches if they had known what an ugly mess they would make? Or the honeylocusts, if they had known they would get mimosa worms every year and be bare by August??

Because of ice storm damage, we've had to remove the honey locusts, a wild black cherry and two redbuds. All that remains on our lot is a 100+ year old giant gingko, three oaks (pin oaks? am not sure), one and a half (storm damaged) red maples, a star magnolia and two scraggy redbuds.

I'm looking for a handful of trees, a fairly even mix of flowery trees, shady trees, maybe an evergreen or two, nothing that will require advanced horticultural training to maintain.

I love:

Beeches

Maples for fall color

Catalpa

Crabapples with pretty flowers

Redbuds and Dogwood

trees with wide stretching branches or shapely branches

I hate:

Bradford Pear

Birches

Pretty disappointed with the honeylocusts in general

Trees that do not withstand wind or ice storms

tall, narrow columnar trees

MIMOSA (OMG DO NOT GET ME STARTED)

Any suggestions? Or should I just stick with what's on my "love" list and go from there?

Comments (25)