SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pdb5627_gw

Small Tree w/ Cracked Bark

pdb5627
13 years ago

I have a tree in my backyard that I am a bit worried about. It is still fairly small, just a bit taller than I am, I think. I'm not sure exactly what kind of tree it is, and if you know your trees, you'll probably be able to tell better than I by looking at a photo of the tree. (Click through on any of the photos below to see it larger.)

{{gwi:429924}}

I am concerned about the tree because I have noticed two cracks in the bark near the base of the tree, one more or less on the east side and one more or less on the west side. The cracks looked "fresh" after winter, when we moved in, and now they are filling in. I took a couple of photographs of the larger crack on the east side of the tree in May:

{{gwi:429925}}Â Â Â {{gwi:429926}}

Since we just moved into the house in March, I don't know when the tree was planted or how it has been taken care of. From what I was able to find on the internet, cracks in tree bark are commonly caused by freeze/thaw cycles during the winter. This past winter was quite bad in Omaha, so that seems like a reasonable explanation. But it was also rather windy during April and May (usual, I guess), and I saw that poor little tree getting blown in the wind and wondered if the cracks might also have been caused by the tree bending too much in the wind.

Here are a few photos from early September. The wounds at the base of the tree look like they are attempting to fill in. The tree doesn't show much, if any, growth at the top.

{{gwi:429927}}Â Â Â {{gwi:429928}}Â Â Â {{gwi:429929}}

Does anyone have any knowledgeable advice about what may be going on with the tree and if there is anything I can do to help it? Or is the tree even worth saving?

Soil: Clay

Not sure what other information to provide....

Comments (13)