SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
harmonyp

Any roses you feel Guilty about?

harmonyp
11 years ago

Guilt is such a strange emotion. It comes up for so many reasons, and some people are more ... well, prone to it, than others. I in general, feel guilty when I buy more roses (just for a moment), as I shouldn't be continuing to spend so much money on non-necessities. But, it's much cheaper than therapy, I rationalize.

Then there are a few roses I have a bit of a guilt complex about. Some are ones that are not doing so well for reasons that are my fault - because I haven't placed them properly - maybe not enough sun, or too much at the wrong time of day. There are those that I eyeball for SP'ing and I feel bad, or those that I have already SP'd, and still wonder if there wasn't somethng more I could have done to spare them. Not all that much guilt mind you, just here and there popping into my mind.

But I have one rose that really is knocking on my guilty conscience, for a weird reason. The rose is Cinco De Mayo. It's in a perfect and very prime spot. It is incredibly healthy - not a hint of any sort of disease. It is a constant bloom machine - a workhorse. But ... I don't like it. It looks like a shrubbery. The blooms don't look like roses - they look like brown/redish leaves to me. Like the shrubs that are nice and thick and dark green, but the new top growth is the same color as Cinco De Mayo's blooms.

I think to myself - I cannot remove this bush. There is nothing wrong with it. I hate to even move it to another location as it's so darn healthy. It certainly doesn't stand out where it is as an unattractive roses - my eyes just look past it as I'm ooo'ing and aaahhh'ing at all its surrounding stars.

Not sure what the end result will be, but for now just looking at it makes me feel guilty, because I really want to just rip it out and put in a rose that I really love. I'm so non-fussy normally - I love all the roses, that this one is an enigma to me.

Thought it might be fun to delve into other peoples "rose guilt". And in the process perhaps glean a path with clearer rationale.

Comments (24)