SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wmas1960

Landscapers hacked down my roses

wmas1960
11 years ago

We moved into our house 2 years ago. When we bought the house there were some beautiful roses in front of the house. They were about 4' tall. Not knowing anything about growing them I did a little reading and decided to leave them be during the winters, I would clip off the spent buds and that was it. For 2 years, they wintered fine. Even after being buried under about 5' of snow in February of 2011. In the spring I would wait for them to show new growth and would trim them down to the nearest 5 leaves above the new growth.

I was shocked the other day when I looked out front and found that the landscapers had cut them almost to the ground and piled leaves around them. About 6". I know they will grow back but wondered how fast and how tall I can get them back to, next year. I am really bummed about this. I had gotten compliments from the neighbor about how wonderful they looked. And they were always full of bright red buds.

When we moved in, along with the rest of the yard, they were a bit over grown and there was a bit of dead woody branches in them. I had carefully thinned them out and trimmed them and feel I was having great success. Now, I just don't know what to expect and, maybe, if I am bummed about nothing. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Comments (13)