SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fillymora

Down to earth rose fert? Acid mix?

filly_z8bFL
7 years ago

I purchased some down to earth rose and flower food 4-8-4 and I was wondering if anyone else used it before and if they liked it?

I have mostly Austins and grow in ammended sand with peat moss, compost (I made with kitchen scraps, coffee grounds, oak leaves, pine needs), banana peels, egg shells, alfalfa meal... I multch with lava rocks since the hubby likes that instead of doing wood chip multch. I have a feeling my sand is alkaline since my endless summer hydrangea was pink (coulda been the lava rocks leaching when raining or watering though...) I am thinking of multching twice a year with my homemade compost and oak leaves underneath the weed barrier/lava rocks.

I grow in zone 8b NW FL.

I also purchased that brand's acid mix, 4-3-6, since I also grow- banana shrub, August beauty gardenias, azaleas, endless summer and a little lime hydrangeas and a camellia...

I'm pretty new to organic gardening (gardening in general) and any tips would be appreciated. Please excuse my ignorance on probably a lot of organic principles. I am trying to do my part for the environment though by adding organic choices when I can.

Thanks for for the info!

Comments (15)