SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sklett

my 2 new 36' trees in serious trouble

sklett
15 years ago

13 days ago I planted a Chinese elm (36" box, 18' tall) and a multi trunk carrotwood (36" box, 12' tall)

I tried to do things perfect, here is what I did:

1) dug the holes 2x the dimension of the box (6' x 6') - this was a lot of work!

2) amended the soil with gypsum, compost and sand

3) installed "deep watering" pipes

So the crane dropped the trees into place and I wet the dirt as we backfilled the holes for the tree. At the end of the day everything looked good and I felt I did a good job.

About 6-7 days later the elm starting "drying out" the leaves were getting crispy and it just didn't look so hot. I figured this was shock from transport (covered with shade tarp in big truck) and planting shock. The carrotwood also started to sag a little and some of the leaves felt wilted.

I soaked the trees through the deep watering pipes the next day.

Jump ahead to yesterday (trees in ground for 12 days). I purchased a "Commercial moisture meter" and started probing the dirt and was shocked to find the root ball was quite dry. The perimeter around the root ball was wet (from backfilling and soaking) but the root ball itself wasn't.

I jumped into action and created a basin around each tree and REALLY soaked them. I also mixed in some "super thrive" with the water. Fingers crossed I hoped I caught the problem in time.

This morning I go out and check the carrotwood for wilting and it seems much better but then I notice there are many, many leaves on the ground. I look at the elm and same thing; tons of leaves dropping. As I'm standing there a GENTLE breeze blows through and 20+ leaves drop from the carrotwood. NO!!! I made the problem worse!

So now I'm super bummed out, my first big-tree experience is turning into an expensive disaster (the tree were around $350 each and the crane another $280)

My western garden book says the elm is deciduous although my neighbor's elm doesn't drop its leaves in winter. I'm hoping mine will recover in spring and regrow leaves on the old branches as well as new ones.

The carrotwood I'm more concerned about, it isn't deciduous so I'm wondering if it will regrow it's lost leaves? I can't imagine having only leaves on new growth at the tips, that will look terrible.

Are my trees as doomed as I think they are? Is it possible they will come back and be fine? Is there anything I should be doing to help them? My dad says I should gently spray the leaves (scion?) at night because some trees can absorb the water this way and it might help them while their new roots grow, is this true?

Will I need to cut back the carrotwood to stimulate new growth? Once massive leaf drop like this starts does it go all teh way until there are no leaves?

Please help, I'm really upset about this, what was supposed to make my front yard look beautiful has turned into the joke on the block.

Any info very appreciated.

-Steve

Comments (7)