SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
greyandamy

Chionanthus virginicus

greyandamy
11 years ago

Hi!

I bought what appeared to be a healthy fringe tree mid spring, it didn't establish well. Tons of breakage, borers, etc. Now it appears to be healthy, it's just 1/3 the size it once was (and if it grows as slowly as they say, it will be a peewee forever, with an odd shape). It's not wind protected yet. The tree seems so delicate, the branches, it's maybe nearing 2 feet tall, but disproportioned due to some branch loss. Will any heavy snow/ice break it this winter? Is there anything I can do to help it survive, it's leaves finally got huge and bright glossy green.

I got another, a month ago, the opposite sex, that somehow transplanted without issue (in a drought, over roots, etc. ) and is so much bigger (more wind protection). It looks so different than the first, leaves different, of course still the unhealthy yellow green from the pot culture..th

e few fruits it had were tiny dried up things, but I was told it was a bad year for fruit. I pray I have the same varieties, and one isn't chinese and one virginia. I haven't played around with it's roots AS MUCH yet, it will come.

Fringe tree number one, my "joke" that cost $85, I know it was in a large pot, It's roots appear healthy and untangled.. Stupid me planted it on too big a mound and it looks ridiculous now.. If I tried to transplant it down closer to ground when dormant, do I risk killing it? They, and river birch, and paperbark maple, have been difficult for me... to get going...

As for the container industry and the potbound roots, it's a crime... potbound doesn't even cut it..

Amy

Comment (1)