SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
atjaguarx_gw

Any concerns with Chokecherry, Crab, Serviceberry, Tulip or Lilac

atjaguarx
12 years ago

My nursery is having their annual 50% off b&b trees. Of the trees they have, I'm interested in the following:

- Schubert Chokecherry Tree

- Tulip Tree

- Springsnow Crabapple Tree

- Autumn Brilliance Serviceberry (single stem) Tree

- Japanese Lilac Tree

- American Redbud Tree

- Constellation Dogwood Tree

I'm worried about the Chokecherry because I've read BAD things about it suckering and the block knot disease. I'm in a new house with very little in terms of shade and the few they have left are rather large and could provide some instant shade.

I've already purchased the Tulip Tree. I haven't read anything that I should be concerned about with this one.

The Springsnow Crab looked a bit "weak". The guy from the nursery claimed that crab's don't like being dug up and would come right back to life once it was put into the ground.

Anything to be concerned with regarding the Serviceberry?

Really like the Japanese Lilac, except for its slow growth rate. Won't be providing shade anytime soon.

Was looking for a single stem Redbud, but they only had multi stem.

The claim that the Constellation Dogwood does not bear fruit, yet it had fruit on it.

One thing to note, I have children and a dog. I'd prefer to not have anything that would kill them. I know you can't avoid it completely.

I currently have the following trees to compliment my choices above:

- Red Oak

- Autumn Blaze Maple (x2)

- Red Maple

- River Birch

- Paperbark Maple

- Kwanzan Cherry

- Crabapple (x2)

Any thoughts on the tree options above? Currently, I have purchased the Chokecherry, Tulip and Lilac trees. I haven't had them delivered and I can cancel anyone of them.

Comments (17)