SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
prairie_gal_z2b

Completely mixed forests

prairie_gal_z2b
16 years ago

Hi everyone,

I've been reading lots of discussions on this forum and have been enjoying them thoroughly. You guys are so knowledgeable and offer advice readily, it's a really nice place!

I live in Saskatchewan, Canada in zone 2ish and recently purchased 10 acres of flat prairie with mostly grass and a small bluff of trembling aspen, the soil is a black sandy loam, with very good drainage. I don't have a well yet, and probably won't for several years.

The funny thing about reading most of the posts on this forum is that you all seem to have grown up around forests or woods of some sort, which is awesome, but so different than where I live and what I have known all my life. All we seem to have are farms and wheat and barley and flatness.

I've never had to even think about slopes or hills, especially in landscaping....so I guess the flat acreage is just up my alley!

Most people I talk to around here have never even heard of "woodlot management" or even knows that forests can be planted. They ask "so what are you going to do out on your land?" and I say "I'm going to plant a forest" and most people laugh at that. It's just such a different mentality, it's as if people don't realize that it's even possible.They have never heard of such a thing.

The only forests around here are three hours north or four hours east, and the forests are natural forests or "bush" that was constantly cleared to make more grainland.

So to my question...

I was planning on planting a huge mixture of any tree or shrub that is hardy to zone 2 and 3.

Has anyone out there simply planted one or more of everything that could possibly grow in their zone?

I guess I'm planning more of an arboretum than anything....does anyone have experience doing this on a private scale?

I'm wondering if this type of planting is not as desirable for some reason, or more people would be doing it.

I see so many people from warm zones (5 to 7) that can literally grow thousands or more species than I and yet there seems to be such a relatively small number of species that get planted.

Another difference here is that the Pine beetle hasn't arrived yet, although it may show up in the next 5 to 20 years (weather depending) and neither has dutch elm disease, so we still have the elm lined streets all over the city and our pines are still untouched...Our ash trees are in great shape too. Our cold winters help to slow the migration of these pests, as well (I'm sure) our vast tracts of treeless prairie. I never realized how lucky we were to still have our elms until I started reading this forum! I guess you don't know what you've got till it's gone...

What I think I've taken from all the destruction of invasive foreign (and non foreign) pests and problems associated with monoculture plantings is that I should plant as many species as possible, so if one (say Sorbus) or two or three are susceptible to something, the other one might not, and thus I have succeeded in my forest over the long term.

Anyway, I appreciate any and all thoughts on the matter!

Thanks!

Koren in Saskatoon

Comments (15)