SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bogie_gw

Tall Tree Suggestions Needed

bogie
16 years ago

I have an area where I am planning to plant trees and shrubs. I thought I had the plan all set, but now am having second thoughts about a Hackberry tree that I had planned as a screen so that we won't see the trailer down the hill from us.

The plusses of a hackberry are a fairly fast growthrate and the height of 40-60 (or more) feet. However, it seems to be host to several diseases thatdon't affect it. but may affect my other trees/shrubs.

My requirements are that it be at least 30 feet tall (we live uphill from where it will be planted and really 40+ feet would be better), is usefull to wildlife (food source is best, but as cover would be okay), is hardy to zone 4 (without protection), is easy care (no spraying) and has a decent growth rate (slow will not do). A real plus would be if it is native (preferable) and has nice flowers and/or autumn color - but not a requirement.

Other trees I have planned for that area are chokecherry, JM, 2 crabapples, sourwood, hawthorne, serviceberry, redbud, tree lilac and fringetree (and yes, I know several of them aren't native - so sue me). There are several shrubs that produce berries intermixed in that area too (winterberries, hollies, inkberries, firethorns etc).

Here is your chance to advocate for your favorite tall tree.

Comments (12)