SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
merlcat

Winter protect Q's Mademoiselle de Sombreuil & others

merlcat
13 years ago

Hi there! I have just begun dabbling deeper into rose growing and have had a great time reading the rose forums on Gardenweb. Please excuse the long post however, I'm in need of some (much!) advice.

My questions:

I have Mademoiselle de Sombreuil that I purchased as a band. I transplanted it into a 2 gallon pot around July and it seems to be growing and thriving. I planned to sink this pot into the ground and cover with mulch in a fairly protected area. The spot is sunny and a lover bed nearest to the house, with a 2 ft or so fieldstone wall next to it This bed I intend to turn into pretty much roses only, though it needs work as far as the soil goes. The wall retains the actual "yard" which is level to the top of the wall on the other side where most of my beds are.

I told my mom my intentions and she said she has never protected any of her roses at all. Granted, she grows very few. Maybe three or four hybrid teas, and three shrub types. Most unknown as to variety as she can't remember and barley took note in the first place! I believe this rose will need winter protection, no? At my other place I only grew one rose, which I LOVED! It was Sea Foam, and was very easy, and healthy. This did not get winter protection and thrived but I think it may be much hardier than my new Mademoiselle de Sombreuil.

I assumed in my zone, (Philadelphia, Pa 6b) I would have to winter protect this rose, as well as the several minis and few patio roses I have growing in the main beds above the wall. My mother is in the suburbs a few miles from me, yet it is colder there, less protected. For example, her begonias in beds have succumbed to frost, mine are still looking great. We are still both 6b zone.

I also have two roses I rooted myself, now in gallon pots. One is Abraham Darby, the other is as unknown climber. I also planned to sink these pots and mound bark mulch, too, in the lower bed. These were planted in smaller containers after rooting, they shot roots about the first of sept of this year. They are much less advanced than my Mademoiselle de Sombreuil, but were taken as cuttings from a garden not far from me, also in Philly. They were well established plants, so I assume they can survive here when bigger. Should they be piled with mulch?

So, for all the zone 6 folks, would you winter protect these roses in the lower bed? Upper bed? Or just sink the pots, cut back the minis and patio roses (or not??) and not bark mulch? I have tons of norway maple leaves, too. Maybe these are better?

Any thoughts, ideas or insights would be VERY much appreciated.

*Please note- I think the patent is expired on the Abrahm Darby and hope to not cause any bad blood from rooting it. These two were my very first tries at rooting roses.

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!