SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sue36_gw

Please help me pick the right tree for the spot

sue36
14 years ago

In case any of you saw my other (Dogwood) post, it's definitely dead. The nursery gave me a credit (about $400). I looked around there last week and didn't see anything that really seemed right for the spot, so I'll likely wait until next spring to replace the tree.

Here is the situation. The spot is 100% sun, not a lick of shade (well, maybe from 6:00 pm on when the sun is really low behind the house). It also tends to be windy during the winter, to the point where the snow gets moved around our yard. The Dogwood just couldn't take it, so I'm not planting another one in that spot.

The person at the nursery really thinks a Crabapple would be good. I think they have their place, but not in this spot. When you look from the street to our house all you can see is one corner of our porch and this tree, a Crabapple just isn't what I want there. She also mentioned Bradford Pears, but I've seen 100 destroyed in one April 1 storm, so I'm not going there. Another tree she mentioned, but they didn't have any more of, was the Lilac Tree (Syringa Reticulata). I am wondering what you think of that and if there is a particular one (Ivory Silk) you think is preferred? I'd also be interested in any other trees you think might work in the spot.

I don't have a very good picture of the spot the tree will go, but you can see it a little here (where the sad Dogwood is). It is on the right front corner of the house. The house is about 35' tall (you can see more of it in other album photos, if you are interested.

Thanks, I appreciate the help.

{{gwi:415527}}

Here is a link that might be useful:

Comments (14)