SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
danell_hiltz

Please help me pick a tree for small yard

Danell Hiltz
13 years ago

I've been tyring to decide what tree(s) to put in each corner of back fence (which faces west, has clay soil with Ph of 7-7.5, temperatures in the 90s and triple digits in summer) so I got a list from our Foresty and Exchange Office of which ones do well here in the Valley. I've also been reading threads on this website related to the ones on this list.

I was looking for something that would stay fairly small (neighborhood of small yards and one story homes), not be a litter problem or have messy fruits/berries, fairly drought tolerant, 3-4 seasons of interest, provide shade, disease and pest tolerant, moderate growth rate, and look good with various conifers (Juniperus V. Monbells, Thuja Emerald Green and possibly Chamecyparis Golden Mop).

The list included:

Japanese Maple, Amur Maple, Shantung Maple, Japanese Snowbell(slow growth so I'd start with a more mature tree), Amur Maackia, Crapemyrtle.

From the threads here the Amur Maackia may get too big, the Japanese Maples may suffer from the sun and don't like wet feet, I'm not sure I like the look of Shantung but have only seen photos on the web.

I currently have a Crapemyrtle hybrid but plan to give it to a neighbor as it has a single trunk. If I get another it will have multiple trunks - I just think the multiples look nicer.

That leaves Snowbell but a thread here said it has copius spent fallen pellet-like crunchy fruits and is not drought tolerant, the Foresty list said it had medium drought tolerance and little litter.

I don't mind some litter, I just don't want a lot of it and I must consider my small dogs which may choke or sicken on fallen fruits.

Do you think two Snowbells or one Snowbell and one Crapemyrtle will work? Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance for any support you may provide.

Comments (8)