SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
thepollywogpond

Help me pick 2 more trees for my yard (pics)

c2g
13 years ago

I bought my house a few years ago and it has no trees in the backyard. There used to be a 100+ yr old white oak in the middle, but the previous owner was paranoid of falling branches and cut it down, despite protest from the neighbors. I'm at the point where I'd like to plant this fall.

Below are my plans for the yard from various viewpoints. I just bought a 10-yr old white oak (about 15') which I'll be planting next week. I'll also be planting 2 apple trees and a gray birch in the coming weeks. I'd like to get 2 more trees in there (in red). For tree #1, I'd like it to eventually be used for privacy from the neighbors in the back. Tree #2, I'm open to anything.

Trees in neighboring yards: red maple, a giant white oak (out of picture) that doesn't really shade my yard (because of the one that was cut down, I guess) and a big norway spruce.

I live in Philadelphia. My requirements are only that they be native to the region, and the more beneficial to wildlife, the better. One tree I'm considering is a 20' pin oak that I can get a good $ deal on, but it would be next to the house or the back fence, and I know they have branches that extend downward. Others I'm considering: sugar maple, locust, tulip poplar, black gum.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks. Pics below.

{{gwi:430241}}

{{gwi:14089}}

{{gwi:14087}}

{{gwi:430242}}

{{gwi:430243}}

Comments (18)