SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lplantagenet

What Will Make My Damasks Bloom?

lplantagenet7AVA
15 years ago

I love Damasks, but have been disappointed in mine. I have a rose that was supposed to be York & Lancester, which I received from Pickering in the spring of 2004. That first summer it formed a short, round, well-shaped, full bush, (not more than 3 1/2 feet high), and the following spring it was covered in very fragrant, very double light pink blooms with button eyes--not Y&L, but a fine once-blooming Damask which resembles the picture of Kazanlik in Ashdown's Library.

When I notified Pickering that it wasn't Y&L, I received a second plant just like it. The problem is that both grew tall and thin and haven't bloomed much.

A similar rose--somewhat paler and not quite so fragrant-- which is supposed to be Kazanlik (it does have 30-32 petals) has been even stingier with its bloom, producing only two or three flowers in each of the past three years.

I also have half a dozen Autumn Damasks which are younger, and which I propagated from a plant that was given to me several years ago. They are healthy, but tend to grow long, scraggly canes like the summer Damasks and produce very few blooms. At Lewis Ginter, the AD's are full of blooms in spring, bloom intermittently during the summer, and then again in fall in a good year.

Although I have heard that Damasks don't like hard pruning, the AD's at Lewis Ginter seem to thrive on it. They are planted close together and aren't allowed to grow much taller than three feet.

Quatre Saisons Blanc Mousseux is equally disappointing--long and lanky and blooms only in spring.

The Portland Rose has turned out to almost exclusively a spring bloomer, too.

What do these roses need that they aren't getting?

York & Lancaster will be arriving from Ashdown next year and I want to get if off to a good start.

Lindsey

PS Rose de Resht and a Pink Portland (which was supposed to be Autumn Damask) have been outstanding.

Comments (9)