SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hartwood_gw

The New Front Border Garden

hartwood
16 years ago

The rain we had here in the east last week, plus mild temperatures, made working in the yard creating the new border garden a delight. It's my first rose garden since we moved here a month ago. My roses have been subsisting in pots, and they can now spread their roots in the ground. Here on old farm land, I am blessed to have real dirt instead of the rocks and clay that I am accustomed to dealing with in other places we've lived around here. (For those of you who were here for the plant exchange, this is the spot where all the roses were sitting in their pots.)

When we first bought this place 5 years ago, this area was a forsythia thicket, 12' high and 20' deep in places, tip rooted all over the place. You couldn't see the fence at all. The sunny south side of the 'hedge' was overrun with honeysuckle, poison ivy, and blackberry brambles. There had once been roses here, because I also found two Dr. Hueys in the mix. It took 3 guys all day one day to cut everything down and haul it to the brush pile at the back of the property. I sprayed whatever grew back with Round-up, and I've been letting the stumps and roots decay while I waited to be able to put in the roses.

The border is about 80' long, 8' deep. The fence posts are 6' high -- concrete, if you can believe it, built by our home's owner in the early 1950's. I put a rebar tripod in front of each post to help train the back row of roses upward. I hope this will also hide the fact that the fence posts are at all odd angles. (notice the one behind the tree.) Since the bed is so long, this is the best photo I could get of it this morning:

{{gwi:132889}}

The roses are arranged in staggered double rows, 8' on center along the length of the bed, and about 5' apart across the depth (if that makes sense). I have put in my most favorite roses, blooming-est roses.

Back Row (on the fence post tripods): Prosperity, Cl. Clotilde Soupert, Brightside Cream, Maggie, Haywood Hall, Manchester Guardian Angel, Moonlight, Secret Garden Musk Climber on the tree, Lansdowne Road Climber (maybe Baltimore Belle?), Kathleen, and Bubble Bath.

Second Row (staggered between the rear roses): Maid Marion, Champney's Pink Cluster, Mme. Joseph Schwartz, Bryan Freidel's Pink Tea, J. E. Murphy's Pink Tea, Miriam's Pink Powerpuff, Indigo, Mrs. Paul, John Hopper, and Mary Washington.

Third Row (in line with the rear roses): Honorine de Brabant, Paul Neyron, Cl. Maman Cochet, Catherine Mermet, Paul Lede, Mrs. John Laing, Marchesa Bocchella, Grandmother's Hat, Felicia, and Applejack.

Front Row: Comte de Chambord, Rose de Rescht, Carnation, Spice, Souvenir de St. Anne's, Caldwell Pink, Quietness, SDLM, and Sydonie.

I spent yesterday afternoon getting a good start on installing the 1-gallon English boxwoods. (35 in so far, about 20 more to go.) I'll top it all off with a brick edge to divide the bed from the lawn. As soon as I can, I'll take DH's truck and go get mulch.

Connie

Comments (21)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting