SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mestines

Starting new front yard garden - DFW area

mestines
11 years ago

I've been growing a veggie garden in our front yard in Euless for 5 years. I'm starting anew because the layout of the current garden is just tacky, the grass keeps taking over (bermuda), the paths are just grass. Imagine a few faded wood beds in a row surrounded by grass. Ugly. So we want to start fresh with some good paths, raised cedar beds, and lots of veggies. Our neighbors and city do not have a problem with this being in the front, btw. It's in the front because the back is heavily shaded.

I was thinking of a grid system with landscape fabric in between the beds for the paths. Should we use mulch, stone, or gravel on top of the fabric? (I'm o.k. with Roundup in the pathways or some other bermudagrassicide.) I refuse to allow grass to grow between the beds due to past experience. I don't mind spot-treating any grass that happens to pop up. Other than that, I grow my garden organically, make compost, the whole bit.

Do we need to remove all the grass/weeds from the ground prior to laying the landscape fabric? Can we just scalp the ground with the weed eater and lay the fabric? Can we use 2 layers of the nice landscape fabric just to be sure it will keep the grass out?

What about black plastic sheeting instead of the fabric? I can't imagine bermuda being able to get through it. Can you put mulch on plastic or will it just wash away during the next downpour?

Veggie gardening in the front yard means I have to worry about the aesthetics of the whole thing. If it were in the back, I'd be down with just cinder blocks for the beds and carpet strips in the paths, lol.

What works for you guys for long term paths? I'm tired of redoing this garden every stinkin' year because the grass took over. I want to set it up and not have to do more than routine maintenance.

Comments (5)