SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bekajoi

Yard to garden... where to start?

bekajoi
14 years ago

Hi there! I'm a first time home owner and have been container gardening in the past. I finally have a YARD to work with! And a pretty good sized one at that. There is TONS of work to be done to turn the lawn into a good sized garden out back! It's a bit of a daunting task, help me figure out if I'm totally blanking on anything!

http://bekajoi.livejournal.com/?s2id=29394404 has pics of the "before" and a few progressive ones from pulling out our pond system and moving decorative pieces.

Anyway, so this fall my plan is to... pull as many weeds as possible (planning to in-ground garden, my soil is quite nice!), move the rocks from the backyard to the area out front I'm making under the blue spruce bush/tree. This should pretty well till the ground as much as it needs this fall... I may see if I can find clover seed to spread out there to "cover crop" it once I move the rocks. Didn't find any at Lowes today though.

Other than that... maybe sowing clover seed out front to take over the grassy areas, and planting a fruit tree or two, what do I need to do this fall? Should I be planting berry bushes in the fall or spring? I want blueberry for sure, black and raspberries would be good as well. Strawberry plants need to be planted in the spring I think?

Anyway! Am I on the right track? Totally blanking on anything important? Trying to level the ground and pull out any unnecessary trees... if it's not fruit bearing and not well established, I DON'T WANT IT! I'm not quite in the permaculture way of thinking, but I'm pretty close I guess.

Anyway! Any tips for an in-ground noobie?

Comments (5)