SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
amyaxelrod_gw

Ideas for new border garden

amyaxelrod
16 years ago

I recently moved to a townhouse from a home that I tended with a half acre of (mostly) perennials. Obviously, I've cut down my gardening area (which is a mixed blessing) and need to "plant this one up" for the next growing season. The border area along the fence that overlooks the pond I live on is approximately 20 ft. long x 3 ft. wide. The soil is good, with 1/3 getting full, south sun, and the other 2/3 getting partial sun (shaded partially by locust trees). The only thing that this border has in it now is Russian Sage (Perovskia) on one end, Goldflame Spirea towards the center, and Spurge (Euphorbia Veneta?) on the other end. I took a beautiful creamy yellow and white Iris (that was long overdue for dividing), divided it up, and planted them along the back fence. I am looking for easy care, long lasting, and hardy perennials and/or bulbs that will help sustain successional blooming, if possible. I am also interested in small woody plantings and groundcovers to complete this blank slate of a garden. I live in north/central New Jersey, with no obvious deer problems (yet), but some bunny/little critter problems. The garden borders a west-facing fence that overlooks a 30 ft. drop to a pond. Thanks for your help, Amy

Comment (1)