SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
arbutusomnedo

How Soon Can You Know A Rose Isn't Meant To Be?

Hey everybody,

In your experiences, how long would you say it will be before a rose has had enough time to establish itself and demonstrate its true colors? I'm sure it varies by class, habit, climate, rootstock/own root, fertilization, amount/intensity of sun, soil quality, and hydration amongst other qualities, but does it really take 4-5 years at least to have that sense?

Heirloom (almost surely on Dr. Huey) looks miserable here. The blooms blow in under a day, the foliage mildews or just looks bad, and it just brings down the area of the garden it's in. However, it was only put in this Spring with many other roses of varying degrees of success. I have read nothing positive that would incline me to expect much of a turn around in this particular spot (coastal, mildew prone, mild area), but is it worth being frustrated so much in the mean time before maturity? I have no intention of shovel pruning something that tends to struggle at first, but if struggle is putting it nicely, should I be a bit less patient?

Given these less successful varieties were my first personal forays into rose growing, I should expect those selections that weren't bought with proper planning or even from a different taste standpoint (I hadn't acquainted myself with OGRs yet) might struggle to meet my current desires and expectations.

I feel like our gardens are meant to enliven our days and reward us with either aesthetic or utile gifts in return for all the blood, sweat, and tears. I REALLY feel like I'd be happier without the black hole of joy that is Heirloom in particular at this point. Should I just keep an eye on the trouble makers for another year or two? Is it reasonable (obviously it's a financial waste) to cut ties to something so quickly if it is so clearly unhappy? I'm sure you all have very different takes and I look forward to reading your opinions and experiences. Thanks for your constant help!

Jay

Comments (24)

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!