SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
curlydoc

Ashdown Needs Help Too

curlydoc
15 years ago

I just received this email. Looks like Vintage is not the only rose grower having problems this year.

"Subject: A personal letter from Paul Zimmerman at Ashdown Roses"

"Over the past season I know many of you felt there is something amiss with my Nursery, Ashdown Roses. As Ive always felt complete honesty is the best way to speak with our customers, I would like to say if you have felt this you are correct; weÂve been through some shaky times that has affected our list of rose offerings, our crop and most importantly our standards of customer service.

Before I go into detail I would like to say that you have been so very understanding as Ashdown has gone through recent difficulties. These past two years Ashdown Roses has braved a near perfect storm. Thankfully, we have emerged, a bit worn, and yet triumphant in our growth and optimism

A while ago the small-town bank that we used as an agriculture and small business banking partner was swallowed by a corporate banking conglomerate. This new parent bankÂs sympathies proved unfavorable for many in the community, particularly agriculturally oriented companies like ours. This new bankÂs deep pockets found that they could not undermine the integrity of AshdownÂs business ethics, but they managed to tie and eat up many of AshdownÂs financial resources.

Though Ashdown has been vindicated of the banking conglomerateÂs squeeze (with settlement disclosure details legally prohibited), the emotional and financial stresses incurred during the year and half of the lawsuit I filed to fight back took their toll. During this time we had to use all funds previously earmarked for new rose inventories, catalogue productions, and new and favorite rose-variety selections. We also reassigned many of our dedicated staff members to other local businesses.

Trish and I decided to handle the responsibilities for running the nursery this past spring ourselves rather than disappear with your roses, or worse have them end up in legal limbo This accounted for both our and your frustrations with our tardy emails, delayed phone calls, late shipments, and many traditionally-beloved selections proving unavailable. I sincerely apologize and ask for your forgiveness and understanding regarding the disconcerting inconveniences this may have caused you. I hope you also understand why I was not able to talk about this while the legal action was ongoing.

Thankfully, I am happy to report this is now behind us and we are slowly getting back on track. We have a new part time employee who we found in the Agricultural Program at Spartanburg Tech and he is responsible for propagating your roses  including the wish list roses. We have also changed how we grow and ship your roses. We have done away with Pot-Less shipping and gone back to the past to use the proven-successful 3.5 inch square by 5 inch deep pot some of you may remember from several years ago. This will continue to keep shipping costs down and it will give you a plant easier to handle. Another benefit of going to the smaller pots will be the ability to offer you a greater inventory with a far wider selection of favorite rose varieties.

Another step we are taking with mixed emotions is we are selling the property the nursery currently resides on. I say mixed because one of the main reasons is we have been offered a parcel around the corner that sits right on the Cherokee Foothills Scenic Highway, a major tourist route through the Carolinas. This will give us far greater exposure and presents exciting new opportunities. Our current property is 20 acres and we simply donÂt need that much space and in fact spend time taking care of land we never even use and from a business standpoint at this point in time it makes no sense to stay. The roses planted in the ground will move us so anyone up for a rose moving party this winter let me know!

While we are excited for the long term future, this recovery period will not happen overnight and it will not happen without you and your orders. Most small businesses are facing difficult times in todayÂs economic climate. As some of you may know, recently one of this countryÂs preeminent independent rose nurseries containing a rose collection that is nothing less than a national treasure told us they are facing challenges as well. I know of others in the same situation. To this end I am simply asking all of you to focus your orders on our independent rose nurseries (in fact all independent nurseries) like us this season instead of the big box store bargain bins. I know you need to stretch your rose dollars too, but if you want to keep the diversity we all labor to provide we need your help in the form of orders. We cannot do it without you.

Another thing you can do for us personally is help us sell our property. ItÂs 20 acres in the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains. Rolling terrain, a pond, pasture; perfect for a horse farm, small estate or short term investment. If you know of someone thinking of moving here or looking for an investment pass our name along. WeÂll put them in touch with our Realtor.

Our mission is to preserve the diversity, quality, texture, color, fragrance, and beauty of the plant we all love  The Rose. I would like to personally thank you for your past support and if we let you down recently I hope now more fully understand and give us a chance to earn your business again. Your faith in Ashdown Roses and your goodwill has helped to sustain us. With choices in purchasing roses disappearing regularly Trish and I feel even more committed to offering you a broad and unusual selection of roses. Now that the events of the past few years are behind us and with your help we can once again devote our full attention to doing so.

Paul Zimmerman

paul@ashdownroses.com

www.ashdownroses.com

PS. Feel free to post this on forums."

Comments (13)