SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
muscovyduckling

Plants for Perth - Med. climate, alkaline sand

muscovyduckling
9 years ago

Hi folks,

OK, this is not strictly a rosey post, but I just know you guys are the people to talk to about this topic!

I'm helping my sister re-design her garden. She lives in Perth, Australia - so mild rainy winters, and hot dry summers. The soil is sandy and full of nematodes,and I think it's alkaline as the bedrock is limestone. It's also worth noting that Perth is one of the windiest cities in the world, and when I lived there during my childhood I always thought it looked eerie if the trees weren't blowing around at least a little bit.

She likes growing veg and herbs and I think she will become a keen gardener, but she's only 24 so she's a newbie like me. She has a sprinkler reticulation on system and is allowed to water twice weekly in summer. Her garden style seems similar to mine- she's a sucker for fragrance, and likes the romantic cottagey look. She seems most drawn to warm pink flowers (both light and dark) as well as buff/apricot colours.

I've recommended teas, China's and Noisettes for her in terms of roses, but need some help with other landscaping plants, including larger foundation trees and shrubs, a small section of hedge, and landscape/ground over plants. In particular, recommendations for conical shaped trees would be great, as she's not overly keen on conifers.

I soooo look forward to reading all your great replies!

Comments (20)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths