SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
strawchicago

Problems with Own-roots on alkaline clay ... info. for Ingrid.

strawchicago z5
11 years ago

Hi Ingrid: I'm glad your Dark Lady blooms well. When I checked the info. on bloom color: soil high in phosphorus gives a color-shift to the red range, soil high in aluminum sulfate gives a color-shift to the blue range, regardless of the pH. Most likely your soil is already high in phosphorus, to get that bright red color in Dark Lady, and deep yellow in your Charles Darwin. At pH above 7 phosphorus is tied up with magnesium in clay soil, or calcium hydroxide (lime) in tap water.

Some plants roots are more effective in secreting acid to unlock phosphorus from soil. The link I posted in another thread "Acid phosphatase in plants' root" described cluster-root in secreting acid to draw out phosphorus in soil. Dr. Huey falls in that category ... my neighbor put a bed of Hybrid teas grafted on Dr. Huey and they bloomed like mad, even in our pH 7.7 rock-hard alkaline clay. Phosphorus is essential for root growth and blooms production.

The problem with some OWN-ROOT Austins that are stingy in alkaline soil: England has a high rainfall, pH of rain is acidic around 5.6. A vast region of England is acid to neutral soil pH. The type of roses that thrive in that wet acidic soil, won't do well as OWN-ROOT in a dry and alkaline soil. If David Austins select the roses with roots that secret acid, there would be a build-up of acid in an already acidic soil, leading to aluminum toxicity.

What I like about buying roses bred in the same climate and soil as mine is: They bloom well even when I water them with alkaline tap water. The own-root Romanticas and French Meilland roses bred in France, bloom well in 100 degree heat and alkaline clay. For 1st year gallon-size own-roots: Firefighter, a Meilland gabe 80+ blooms. Romanticas Sweet Promise, Bolero, Liv Tyler gave loads that I have to share with neighbors. Frederic Mistral gave 10 blooms since his roots are locked in my gluey creation of clay, peatmoss, grass clippings, aflafa meal, plus sulfur...they were fluffy at first, then became concrete chunks a few months later.

Recently I dump a bucket of tomatoes on top of commposted banana peels. The acidic tomatoes reacted with the potassium in banana peels to make an indestructible sheet ... I would need a leaf shredder to break it up. Say "no" to peatmoss in fixing alkaline clay ... I learned the hard way when I dug up plants to see their roots glued up in concrete chunks, plants become yellowish since their roots can't breathe.

I should had known better from my chemistry classes NOT to put acid and base together, they form precipitates. My pH 7.7 alkaline clay reacts with acidic peat moss, plus sulfur to form concrete, rather than fluffy soil that roots can expand.

Comments (17)

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville