SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cthornton_gw

Need advice,,,feeding, manure, pruning, etc

cthornton
14 years ago

I decided to repost this as new thread to get more advice.

Okay - I am in Payson, AZ which is 6,000ft elevation.

My irrigation at this point is to hand water when it does not rain. I have to admit, in the 2 yrs I have lived in our house I have rarely even watered or messed with the roses until recently. Last fall and then this spring I cleaned the weeds from the bed, pruned the rose bushes back to about 5ft tall since the previous home owner let them get 7 ft tall and really bushy with weeds 3 ft high. Then about 2-3 months ago they had aphids so I put some chemical stuff on that someone gave me to try. It claimed it could be HIGHLY toxic, but killed bugs, diseases, and fed them all at the same time. I forget what the stuff was called, but it looked like thick white goo that you mix w/water and put around the bottom of the plants. I had a black widow spider bigger than I have EVER seen come out. That was what was basically covering the bottom 1/2 of the bush in webs.

So, I did that and then got advice from my mother in law to wash the aphids and spider webs off of the leaves. So, I did that. Now, I am thinking that is a no-no?

So, here is my list of questions:

Should you never wet the foliage?

I have never really fertilized. What do I use? I have plant tone...or do I just go with the horse manure?

If I use HM do I put only around the plant and not let it touch the plant?

The local nursery recommends pruning, mulching and manuring in March. Should I wait until then to do each of these or should I prune, feed, mulch in fall too?

My aunt says deadheading is to only pull off the petals of the flowers once they begin to fall off (I don't think that is right!). How is dead heading done to roses properly? Is it too late (have not had flowers for a couple months)?

I read you can plant perennials in the bed to act as a buffer zone against disease. Those suggested were violas, geraniums, and campanillas. Also suggested lavender. Then read other companion plantings to attract benificial bugs to ward off pests were rosemary, thyme, and alyssum. There are some tulip bulbs in the bed currently. Any suggestions on what people think about this would be great.

I need so much help for these 3 plants! Thanks!

Comments (2)