SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
marylandmojo

MANURE on figs in colder climates??

marylandmojo
17 years ago

I'm in zone 6B-7A here in the suburbs of the Baltimore-Washington area--a zone and area where some form of Winter protection is helpful (and many years, required), for outdoor, inground figs. We have fluctuating temperatures here, pretty much year-round, but particularly in the Spring and Fall. Although it is 60+ degrees (F) here today, our record high for this date is 75 degrees F, and our record low would be 15 degrees F, or so. In the mid-Atlantic, our weather may be influenced by extremely cold Canadian air, or very warm air coming up from the Gulf of Mexico, so a disparate range of 50-60 degrees F on any given day is not that extraordinary. I have a fig-grower friend who each year about this time dumps a load of fairly-fresh horse manure under each of his 4 fig trees. When I first saw him do this, 10 years ago, or so, I thought he was crazy; I also thought he would surely kill all 4 trees, because he had manure 1 1/2 to 2 feet deep, spread about and under the base of the trees (bushes). He told me his father had done this every year for 60 years, and he was continuing the practice. Strange thing is, his figs flourish and produce a very large crop of figs each year. This year, he got a Breba crop and a main crop, of all things--VERY unusual for outdoor figs in this area. Although we did have a very mild Winter last year, I didn't get any Brebas on my outdoor figs (which are on the south side of a fence and wall--his are pretty much in the open), and I used Wilt-Pruf on them. (For me, the jury is still out on Wilt-Pruf). My question is, has anyone else in colder climates, where protection is necessary, used farm-animal manure on their figs, and what are your thoughts about MANURE on FIGS?? My friend seems to think that figs not only tolerate manure, but have an affinity for it. Looking at his fig trees, I'm beginning to think the same, where, orginally, I would have thought that changing the pH that drastically (by dumping a big load of fairly-fresh manure on them) would kill them all. I thought all that manure would cause root-rot; he thinks the manure releases heat and protects the base and roots of his trees. Any thoughts?

Comments (15)