SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_8959062

another year with no new roses

User
10 years ago

My attempt at planning and responsibility is actually fairly dismal since bare root season is here without a single order from me. What's more, to pile on the misery, I have forgone my usual order of several hundred tulips (2000 narcissi just don't really cut it compared to the euphoria as the tulips start to open). I have also not bought a single new perennial.....all because of this limbo-like existence, floating between garden, wood and allotment. Of course, I have gone far, far overboard on seeds but this is always fraught with stress (unlike bulbs and bareroots which are an absolute guaranteed result requiring the bare minimum of effort). There is only so much glee to be gained from scrutinising the seed packets (and even then, most of them just come in a plain envelope with a botanical name)......not to mention the waiting (which can extend to 5 years for stuff like martagons, notholirion, dierama, even the humble snowdrop and bluebells). Feeling like I need some new, engrossing interest which requires neither space nor funds and can be done under a dim oil-lamp. Woodcarving perhaps? Or there is a definite danger that I may wallow in a morass of miserable biscuit munching and shouting at the TV. There is always knitting but I actually do not enjoy this, knitting purely as a labour of love....and the cost of nice wool is eye-watering.

Comments (8)