SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
celestialrose_nh

Accident in the rose garden

celeste/NH
16 years ago

It has been very dry here and I've been sick all week so I hadn't been able to water all my roses. Last night I went out to undertake the long process of hand-watering over 200 rosebushes. As I was standing on our 6 foot tall stone wall watering the roses planted below, the top stone let go and down I went, scraping off patches of skin off my left arm and leg on the stones as I slid,,,,when I landed, a huge boulder weighing abot 80+ pounds fell on my left leg (which was bent sideways at an un-natural angle). My daughter Grace realized the stone was too heavy for her to lift off of me so she went running to get DH. As much in pain as I was in and unable to move, my immediate distress was for my precious roses that I (and the boulder) had landed on. I knew I was laying on a couple of them because I could feel the thorns piercing my leg & rear end as I lay there moaning in pain. As DH was lifting the stone off I kept saying..."be careful for my roses" and then as he helped me up I was crying "my poor roses are all broken". (I wasn't even sure at this point if my leg was broken or not....I couldn't stand or bend it.)

When my daughter Tiffany came running out and saw all the blood and the huge bruises already forming, she said "MOM...who cares about the stupid roses?? Look at your arm and leg! Are you crazy? They're just plants!"

I tried to explain in between gasps of pain that I had landed smack dab on top of "Tip Toes" and "Atomic White" which were hard-to-find Brownell roses that I had gotten as teensy-weensy bands in the spring and had nursed into big, beautiful shrubs. To my astonishment, DH checked them and found that the canes were not broken at all and popped back up with a little help.

I was also surprised that I wasn't broken either. I am missing lots of skin from my arm and leg, have rose-thorn punctures everywhere and colossal-sized bruises and can barely walk, but all is well because my roses are fine.

That's rose-love for ya.

No one here understands, but I know lots of you will.

Celeste

Comments (43)

Sponsored
Fourteen Thirty Renovation, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Professional Remodelers in Franklin County Specializing Kitchen & Bath